What's new

DSLR's Dead?

Thanks for the insight. I am probably still more undecided than I want to admit. I think I’ve found myself in a bubble with all information coming in showing a trend towards moving back to DSLRs.

Learning that something close to 90% of all camera sales are mirrorless and no camera manufacturers are making DSLRs is deflating.

Nikon plans to terminate support for their DSLRs in 2030? It feels like a dead end.

On the other hand, film is still being made and sold …

Thanks for the insight. I am probably still more undecided than I want to admit. I think I’ve found myself in a bubble with all information coming in showing a trend towards moving back to DSLRs.

Learning that something close to 90% of all camera sales are mirrorless and no camera manufacturers are making DSLRs is deflating.

Nikon plans to terminate support for their DSLRs in 2030? It feels like a dead end.

On the other hand, film is still being made and sold …
I don't think I'm your typical gearhead, and I don't concentrate on studying and comparing lens characteristics and such; I just take pictures.

It's the same with camera bodies. I read a few reviews and make a decision based on what I think I might gain or lose by buying this or that camera or system, and the last thing I do is collect cameras. I have seen people list five or six cameras in two or three different brands, and I wonder what goes on inside a mind that feels that is necessary. Sometimes I think it is mostly bragging rights. I take a large variety of pictures, and I have rarely felt a need to switch cameras if I was doing landscapes and a bird landed in the scene. I can see the benefit for lenses that cover a large range, but again, I don't need the best $15,000 lens to get what I want to make a nice print for my bedroom wall or social media post.

I once considered trying some form of pro photography as a second career, but never found an area that I thought would suit my temperament, certainly not weddings or events. For that reason, the camera I used was based only on what I liked, not on suitability for some specific form of photography. What I liked about the mirrorless was the electronic viewfinder, the silent electronic shutter, the smaller size, and lighter weight. Subject recognition, super-fast autofocus, and larger sensors are bonuses for me, as well as the ability to use much higher ISO with much less noise. My D2X was incredibly noisy, and I still got some nice shots, but now it's just one less thing to worry about.
 
Thanks for the insight. I am probably still more undecided than I want to admit. I think I’ve found myself in a bubble with all information coming in showing a trend towards moving back to DSLRs.

Learning that something close to 90% of all camera sales are mirrorless and no camera manufacturers are making DSLRs is deflating.

Nikon plans to terminate support for their DSLRs in 2030? It feels like a dead end.

On the other hand, film is still being made and sold …


While digital is a fine method of producing photographs it's deeply entrenched in the new is better design philosophy. Short lifespans and difficult repair. Unfortunate because so many older digital cameras still take great photos.

Honestly shoot whatever you choose (maybe even what you have now) and deal with the future when it arrives. Predicting it is exhausting and counter productive IMHO.
 
As far as Nikon's future business decisions, who knows. I would hope they would keep two or three DSLR models in production, for anyone that would want them. Personally I don't see myself getting another one (this is my second); there are lenses on my wish list, however. I'm not interested in mirrorless, unless something major happens to the D750.
 
I don't think I'm your typical gearhead, and I don't concentrate on studying and comparing lens characteristics and such; I just take pictures.

It's the same with camera bodies. I read a few reviews and make a decision based on what I think I might gain or lose by buying this or that camera or system, and the last thing I do is collect cameras. I have seen people list five or six cameras in two or three different brands, and I wonder what goes on inside a mind that feels that is necessary. Sometimes I think it is mostly bragging rights. I take a large variety of pictures, and I have rarely felt a need to switch cameras if I was doing landscapes and a bird landed in the scene. I can see the benefit for lenses that cover a large range, but again, I don't need the best $15,000 lens to get what I want to make a nice print for my bedroom wall or social media post.

I once considered trying some form of pro photography as a second career, but never found an area that I thought would suit my temperament, certainly not weddings or events. For that reason, the camera I used was based only on what I liked, not on suitability for some specific form of photography. What I liked about the mirrorless was the electronic viewfinder, the silent electronic shutter, the smaller size, and lighter weight. Subject recognition, super-fast autofocus, and larger sensors are bonuses for me, as well as the ability to use much higher ISO with much less noise. My D2X was incredibly noisy, and I still got some nice shots, but now it's just one less thing to worry about.
Yeah, I may be overthinking this. I'm not a professional, but I do want to be able to shoot photos that I can't get with my camera.
 
Right now, quality lenses, a more educated and less lazy operator, and a full frame sensor.
But, I have not intention of giving up the cropped frame camera.
 
I've got a Nikon D5500, which I bought in 2015, and upgrade from my old Minolta X700. It took a long time for me to upgrade from film to digital. Now I see that the trend is toward mirrorless. One of the things I regretted when I did the last upgrade was having to give up my lenses. I'd had some of those lenses since 1974, when I bought my first SLR, a Minolta SRT101.

I am still not extremely knowledgeable about working with the D5500, but get by. During our vacation this year, I decided there might be an advantage to carrying two cameras with different lenses (please disadvise me of this notion if it is wrong).

So, I've started investigating my next purchase. I've been looking at the Nikon Z6 III. I've also been looking at the price, and wondering how many new lenses I'd have to buy. I currently have four lenses for the D5500, 3 are Nikon AF-S's and one is the huge Sigma 150 - 600.

Last night, it occurred to me that I could probably get the D850 for less money, and not have the lens dilemma.

I'd like to hear your predictions about the future of photography and any advice.

For what its worth, I'm now in my 70's, so probably won't need a camera to take me much beyond 15 to 20 years.
Only two reasons I can think of for upgrading. Either you can't find the camera you want or your not happy with the photo's your getting. If your not happy with the photo's your getting I'd call that user error, only you can fix that. But not finding the camera you want comes down, often, to the one you want having been discontinued!
 
Nikon is going to come out with a global shutter and that will change the game and is going to make mirrorless the go to and the DSLR will not be able to compete that way. Especially for flash photography outside
 
The Nikon/RED pairing could just bury parts of their camera line. That would likely be DSLRs.
 
If your not happy with the photo's your getting I'd call that user error, only you can fix that.
I disagree with that comment. As I am into photography of birds and love catching them in flight I upgraded from my Canon EOS R as trying to capture that type of photography with that camera was a hit rate of 1 out of 100. It simply failed in many areas. Trying to stay locked on the subject in flight, FPS not adequate the list goes on. and on. Not impossible to get a shot a was after but frustratingly close. My hit rate now is simply unbelievable compared to that model.
 
Ah all this "gotta be the latest" is fluff. Joshua Paul shot F1 racing with a 1913 Graflex 4X5 quite well. Skills talent and foresight will trump latest and greatest every time.
 
Ah all this "gotta be the latest" is fluff. Joshua Paul shot F1 racing with a 1913 Graflex 4X5 quite well. Skills talent and foresight will trump latest and greatest every time.
Truisms at ten paces? Seriously?
Prefer Jesse Alexander's shots any day.
 
Comparing a race car going around a track to a bird in flight LOL. Obviously never tried to capture a bird. Like comparing an apple to a coconut.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom