What's new

DSLR's Dead?

I have both Nikon DSLRs and a Nikon mirrorless, but even tho I am committed to pushing forward with the Z-mount mirrorless lenses, I would LOVE to have a D850. It will be remembered as a legend.
Right now I'm still shooting my D500/D850 but will probably go with a used Z8 when the newer Z8 mark 2 comes out. At this point in time I intend to never sell my D500/D850 no matter how many other cameras I may buy, I like them that much.
 
I've got a Nikon D5500, which I bought in 2015, and upgrade from my old Minolta X700. It took a long time for me to upgrade from film to digital. Now I see that the trend is toward mirrorless. One of the things I regretted when I did the last upgrade was having to give up my lenses. I'd had some of those lenses since 1974, when I bought my first SLR, a Minolta SRT101.

I am still not extremely knowledgeable about working with the D5500, but get by. During our vacation this year, I decided there might be an advantage to carrying two cameras with different lenses (please disadvise me of this notion if it is wrong).

So, I've started investigating my next purchase. I've been looking at the Nikon Z6 III. I've also been looking at the price, and wondering how many new lenses I'd have to buy. I currently have four lenses for the D5500, 3 are Nikon AF-S's and one is the huge Sigma 150 - 600.

Last night, it occurred to me that I could probably get the D850 for less money, and not have the lens dilemma.

I'd like to hear your predictions about the future of photography and any advice.

For what its worth, I'm now in my 70's, so probably won't need a camera to take me much beyond 15 to 20 years.
I am 70 years old, and recently purchased a new D850. This has always been my dream camera, having used the D750 since it came out in 2017. I had always wished I had been able to afford the D850 instead. I also have a Fujifilm XT50 which I use for travel, it is light, has IBIS and produces excellent images. I love the results the mirrorless XT50 produces but I always feel 'detached' from the picture taking process. I guess I am not a fan of using the EVF. The optical viewfinder in the D850 is excellent and makes me feel part of the whole photography process. I feel I have to use more skills using the D850 as I am not getting a view of what the picture will be like, I love the whole process of using the exposure triangle and autofocus to produce the images I want, and not being able to see the final image until I have pressed the shutter. The D850 is currently the bargain of the century and you can still use any F mount glass that you might have owned beforehand.
 
I am 70 years old, and recently purchased a new D850. This has always been my dream camera, having used the D750 since it came out in 2017. I had always wished I had been able to afford the D850 instead. I also have a Fujifilm XT50 which I use for travel, it is light, has IBIS and produces excellent images. I love the results the mirrorless XT50 produces but I always feel 'detached' from the picture taking process. I guess I am not a fan of using the EVF. The optical viewfinder in the D850 is excellent and makes me feel part of the whole photography process. I feel I have to use more skills using the D850 as I am not getting a view of what the picture will be like, I love the whole process of using the exposure triangle and autofocus to produce the images I want, and not being able to see the final image until I have pressed the shutter. The D850 is currently the bargain of the century and you can still use any F mount glass that you might have owned beforehand.
Congratulations on getting your dream camera!
I feel very similarly about my Canon 5D MKIII. It may be old, but it's an excellent workhorse of a camera, and I feel the same way regarding the optical viewfinder. And the glass for it is so affordable, it's crazy. Anyways, I hope you have a lot of fun with that camera.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom