What's new

DSLR's Dead?

Comparing a race car going around a track to a bird in flight LOL. Obviously never tried to capture a bird. Like comparing an apple to a coconut.
Not quite. Still amazed by the in-focus panning shots 50s-60s Formula 1 photographers caught.
 
Truisms at ten paces? Seriously?
Prefer Jesse Alexander's shots any day.

Comparing a race car going around a track to a bird in flight LOL. Obviously never tried to capture a bird. Like comparing an apple to a coconut.
My apologies if my comment offended.
 
My apologies if my comment offended.
All good, everyone has a point of view and I totally respect that. I will be the first to admit I can get my back up too easily as well.
 
I have decided to stick with DSLR's. I've bought a refurbished D850. And so far I love it. Even with the DX lenses that I have (waiting on a refurbished 50mm) the photos I've taken seem clearer. I am enjoying the weight of the camera and the feel of the shutter. I also am enjoying not having to fight with the pop - up flash and getting low light photos.

My wife seems to have adopted a young skunk (she named him Sydney) who comes by most evenings to munch on the leftover birdseed.

()

But I still have a lot to learn.

On Edit:
I thought I should clarify. The video is AI, I created it just for fun. There are four or five "real" photos in there of Sydney Skunk. I shot those with my D5500 through the kitchen window. Here is a comparison of the D5500 through the window with a flashlight (not flash) using Auto Mode and my Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 lens, compared to a similar photo taken without the aid of a flashlight, through the kitchen window, using Program Mode and the a Micro 40mm 1.28 lens. The pic with the skunk is the D5500. The pic with the possum is the D850. Amazing difference to my eyes. It could be the lens, but I think the camera played a big role.
 

Attachments

  • 2025 10 10 Skunk (10).webp
    2025 10 10 Skunk (10).webp
    2 MB · Views: 60
  • 2025 12 01 Skip Possum (3).webp
    2025 12 01 Skip Possum (3).webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:
I have decided to stick with DSLR's. I've bought a refurbished D850. And so far I love it. Even with the DX lenses that I have (waiting on a refurbished 50mm) the photos I've taken seem clearer. I am enjoying the weight of the camera and the feel of the shutter. I also am enjoying not having to fight with the pop - up flash and getting low light photos.

My wife seems to have adopted a young skunk (she named him Sydney) who comes by most evenings to munch on the leftover birdseed.

()

But I still have a lot to learn.

On Edit:
I thought I should clarify. The video is AI, I created it just for fun. There are four or five "real" photos in there of Sydney Skunk. I shot those with my D5500 through the kitchen window. Here is a comparison of the D5500 through the window with a flashlight (not flash) using Auto Mode and my Nikkor 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 lens, compared to a similar photo taken without the aid of a flashlight, through the kitchen window, using Program Mode and the a Micro 40mm 1.28 lens. The pic with the skunk is the D5500. The pic with the possum is the D850. Amazing difference to my eyes. It could be the lens, but I think the camera played a big role.

Looks like you are having fun and that is what amature photography is all about. I have a D850 and a D500 and have no plans to ever update either of them.
 
Neither a D500 nor a D850 have a shutter thats meant to last.

Which is why I hope that Nikon will keep making DSLRs.
 
Going from your 5500 to a d850 might be too big of an upgrade at this point I'm time. Your d5500 has a smaller aps-c sensor while the d850 has a full frame. This means your DX lenses won't work WELL with it. If you want to stick with dSLR then the Nikon d7500 or used d7200 would be a nice upgrade while staying compatible with your DX lenses. If you want full frame dSLR then a used d750 or d780. If you want mirrorless DX then the z50ii. And lastly if you want full frame mirrorless then the z5II is more than most of us really need
I am enjoying the D850. It is larger than I expected, and I am still learning its ins and outs. Wife has fallen in love with the D5500. We have lenses for both. I had already bought a couple of full sensor lenses for the 5500.

It wasn’t until recently that I had thought about my history with cameras. My first was a little Brownie. I used those old cameras with the cube flash and Polaroids before the had color film. My stepdad was a division manager for the Traid corporation, selling the Fotron, the first electronic camera. It was a beast in size, but produced mediocre pictures.

Then there was a series of Kodak cameras and some experimentation with making my own contact prints.

And finally my first Adult camera, the Minolta 201, stolen and replaced with the Minolta X-700.

I remember my angst in making the decision to buy the Nikon D5500.

And so it goes…
 
I have both Nikon DSLRs and a Nikon mirrorless, but even tho I am committed to pushing forward with the Z-mount mirrorless lenses, I would LOVE to have a D850. It will be remembered as a legend.
 
I loved my d850 and it will still take great pictures. Glad you like your choice.
 
Two weekends ago, I came "this close" to getting rid of both my DSLRs and lenses and making the jump to mirrorless. I had done a few weeks of research and read several reviews. I know and understand the differences and\or benefits and I knew it would be me jumping into a world I thought would be at least a few years away. I'm old school, from the camp of "it's the photographer, not the camera", so the upgrade was just me jumping early into the future of photography.

I got all my stuff ready, made an appointment and took it to a local camera store noted for being fair, and let them go through every piece extensively. They did and about 30 minutes later they gave both bodies and both lenses a grade of 'excellent'. The price they offered was shockingly less than I can get selling it all privately. I pondered their offer for a few minutes and passed on it. The difference between mirrorless and my current cameras isn't enough for me to spend $2000, get very little for what I have, and start all over with new lenses, filters, hoods, etc. I'd probably go with the adapter and keep my lenses.

I'll never be too good for my equipment, so going mirrorless is just (for me) an unnecessary change. Also, I don't long for WiFi connectivity, or video. I have zero interest in video and since I'm not a professional out in the field, I don't need to get shots back to an office or publisher asap. I can wait until I'm back home to download.

As I got in my car and drove away, I was relieved that I didn't say goodbye to my current stable just for the sake of upgrading. I'll use them until they can't go anymore and by then the industry will have done away with SLR. I'll make the switch then. Or I'll get a new D850 that someone never used and that'll carry me the rest of the way.
 
The price they offered was shockingly less than I can get selling it all privately. I pondered their offer for a few minutes and passed on it. The difference between mirrorless and my current cameras isn't enough for me to spend $2000, get very little for what I have, and start all over with new lenses,
I had that experience when I switched to digital a long time ago, and again recently when I traded a couple of lenses. You're only going to get the low end of wholesale for anything you sell to a dealer, and even the "fair" ones will lowball you if they can. Sometimes I wish I hadn't traded off some of those old cameras, like my Mamiya TLR. I got next to nothing for it, and today some of the best ones are commanding very good prices.
 
Sometimes I wish I hadn't traded off some of those old cameras,...
It's really by luck that I still have my old FM2, which is why I cherish it so much. I came home from work one evening in 1986 and my house had been burglarized. They took nearly everything I owned. The only thing I still have from back then is my FM2 - because, as was almost always the case, it was with me. They also left all of my slides, contact sheets, and prints. I'm fortunate to have all of my early work and equipment. It's crossed my mind to have that camera sitting next to me when I'm 6 feet under. :happyblush:

The digitals I have now don't have near the sentimental value so when it comes time to trade up, I won't have an issue doing it. If they would have given me a fair price two weeks ago, I'd be shooting with a Zfc right now.
 
Two weekends ago, I came "this close" to getting rid of both my DSLRs and lenses and making the jump to mirrorless. I had done a few weeks of research and read several reviews. I know and understand the differences and\or benefits and I knew it would be me jumping into a world I thought would be at least a few years away. I'm old school, from the camp of "it's the photographer, not the camera", so the upgrade was just me jumping early into the future of photography.

I got all my stuff ready, made an appointment and took it to a local camera store noted for being fair, and let them go through every piece extensively. They did and about 30 minutes later they gave both bodies and both lenses a grade of 'excellent'. The price they offered was shockingly less than I can get selling it all privately. I pondered their offer for a few minutes and passed on it. The difference between mirrorless and my current cameras isn't enough for me to spend $2000, get very little for what I have, and start all over with new lenses, filters, hoods, etc. I'd probably go with the adapter and keep my lenses.

I'll never be too good for my equipment, so going mirrorless is just (for me) an unnecessary change. Also, I don't long for WiFi connectivity, or video. I have zero interest in video and since I'm not a professional out in the field, I don't need to get shots back to an office or publisher asap. I can wait until I'm back home to download.

As I got in my car and drove away, I was relieved that I didn't say goodbye to my current stable just for the sake of upgrading. I'll use them until they can't go anymore and by then the industry will have done away with SLR. I'll make the switch then. Or I'll get a new D850 that someone never used and that'll carry me the rest of the way.
Glad you didn't sell to a shop. Even if they're known for being "fair", a shop will never actually give anyone a fair price for their kit. It's nice to get a grading from them though, that way if you decide to sell privately you can confidently base your price on that 'excellent' grade.

I'm someone who believes photographers should only upgrade when they feel that their current setup is limiting them, and it sounds as if you are definitely not limited by your current kit. If that itch to get something new persists, you should consider renting. It's helped me a lot with figuring out what works best for me.
 
Greed is so commonplace it's accepted as SOP. Unfortunate.

I tend to keep things that work and avoid the hassle is learning the process on different equipment. I still have my FM2n as well as my F5. Hell I even have my original 35mm Hanimex Practika Super TL. Hasn't had film in it in decades as it's in dire need of a CLA.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom