4 GIGApixel Camera

The best part about the 4 gigapixel camera?

It's a film camera!

Large rolls of Kodak film, used mostly for aerial photography and geological surveys, cost $1,200 each. The film is ultra-high-resolution -- 4,000 pixels per inch -- but on a square-inch basis, it costs less than 35mm, Flint said. He cuts the film himself and loads it onto the magazines.

This guy's best skill is his ability to market. He's getting a lot of press for his "new" techniques, which have been a part of large format and ultra large format photography for over a century now.

EDIT: And at a resolution of 4000 dpi the fancy government high res film has less resolution than such exotic films as Kodak Gold and Fuji Superia. ;) No wonder it's cheaper than 35mm.

Not wishing to rub anyone up the wrong way, but sensationalist figures do nothing for me:

"His last trip lasted six weeks, stretched 9,000 miles and resulted in 150 images."

3 pictures per day - errrr yeah.

Is it just me, or does a 4 GIGApixel camera seem like overkill???

Based on that sample crop, it doesn't look any better than an 22MP sensor. Considering the weight of the thing, what is all that extra resolution necessary for except probably very special cases, i.e. Mars snapshots of rocks.

Most reactions

Back