40D issues?

guitarkid

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.roxystudios.net
hey guys, i just purchased the 40D body and love it, except, i seem to be having some issues with indoor non-flash photography. was wondering if any of you with this body saw the same thing. i shot a wedding with it over the weekend. i'm not happy with the photos at all. underexposed and red hue. i shot with no flash, canon 70-200F2.8 IS at iso 400, F2.8, 1/30 on my 30D and it looks AWESOME! same EXACT settings on the 40D, tranferred the same lens to the body, white balanced just the same, and the photos do not look good at all. i'm not sure what's going on. i also purchased the canon EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM and thought there was something wrong with the lens until i put it on my 30D. photos look much nicer on the 30D. i shouldn't have to reset to factory default settings upon taking it out of the box? maybe i should flash the camera bios too? it doesn't make any sense. outdoor photos look really nice of course, but the indoor with no flash is an issue.

do you still have the RAW imags? there one could check the white balance by just applying it in the RAW converter ... with the same parameters for the 30 D and 40 D to compare.

underexposure sounds like the metering was done slightly different. do you spot meter? did you try to shoot manually with identical aperture and shutter speed and ISO at both cameras? If not, things are very hard to compare.

That does sound weird. I'm also curious to know if you used the same metering mode on both cameras.

yes, same metering mode on both cams. same everything. identical. yes, of course i'm shooting in RAW, but i'm sure you knew that. i read somewhere that the 40D does shoot more underexposed than the 30D. it's just how it is with the new chip, etc. but, it shouldn't be that much....

I don't know...is it maybe a color space issue?

Maybe call Canon service...it might be a common issue that they deal with.

I remember reading a review (can't remember which one, whether it was Steve's or anotehr site; it's on at photographyblog.com within the last few days) that the 40D underexposes a little bit; in my (limited) practice, I just eyeball it based on the playback + histogram and shoot in manual. As for the hue, my guess is it'd be a white balance issue so I hope you shot in RAW.

yes, always shoot in RAW, nothing else. i WB on the same area as the 30D. what i shoot at iso 400 on the 30D has to be 800 or a little lower on the 40D to get the same look. not too happy about that. i guess if the noise isn't there, i'm fine with it....just a bummer.

Most reactions

Back