45 Exposures for One Image...

I know a guy who's made light painting part of his business...
It's apparently going pretty well for him.

And the end result of all that effort looks so silly and unrealistic to me that he may as well have just taken a picture of a Tonka toy truck in a studio and pasted it into a picture of a dirt yard.
The end result here seriously makes me WINCE.

But whatever, he obviously knows what he likes and it's obviously not an issue of technical lack of skill or anything, so I guess it's just chocolate vs. strawberry.

Looking at the final result it seems to be a labour intensive way of going about things. Surely a series of photos taken at different shutter speeds and then combined into an HDR would have done a similar effect and final result. I get the idea of bringing light into the truck; but can't shake the feeling that a tripod and a longer exposure would have done just as well for the kind of result they went after in the end.

Impressive work; but not sure its how I would have approached nor used the method for this particular shot

Almost looks like your average bracketed HDR.

Not impressed with the final result...

I get the idea of bringing light into the truck
Yeah THAT might have been cool, but he didn't even do that! The inside nooks and crannies still look just as dark as if lit normally from the outside!

..can't shake the feeling that a tripod and a longer exposure would have done just as well for the kind of result they went after in the end.

Ah, but then he wouldn't have been able to write about Pocket Wizards.

And the end result of all that effort looks so silly and unrealistic to me that he may as well have just taken a picture of a Tonka toy truck in a studio and pasted it into a picture of a dirt yard.

But whatever, he obviously knows what he likes and it's obviously not an issue of technical lack of skill or anything, so I guess it's just chocolate vs. strawberry.

Completely agree

You got it---the perfect word that described MY reaction to his finished job---I WINCED !!

Because he actually did a good job on lighting the construction worker in the foreground--with directional light--I was disappointed with his light everything approach to the truck ( I call that technique IRRATIONAL LIGHTING ). It ended up looking like over done HDR!

To some photographers not used to seeing light-painting I suppose his work could be impressive however If you want to see a master at the technique of light-painting REALLY LARGE THINGS OUTSIDE check-out ROYCE BAIR'S work at several State and National Parks...

The site's at NightScapes - a set on Flickr

I have to agree with the general sentiment here. I think there are ways to create a similar image with more impact and far less required time and effort. As it is, the result has no depth, and almost looks like a quickie photoshop composite or forced perspective shot gone awry.

If you want to see some incredible forced perspective shots, check out this guy:

Amazing Miniature Scenes Shot with Model Cars, Forced Perspective and a $250 P&S

I have to agree with the general sentiment here. I think there are ways to create a similar image with more impact and far less required time and effort. As it is, the result has no depth, and almost looks like a quickie photoshop composite or forced perspective shot gone awry.

If you want to see some incredible forced perspective shots, check out this guy:

Amazing Miniature Scenes Shot with Model Cars, Forced Perspective and a $250 P&S

Cool.

I guess I'm more amazed at the creativity than the final result. There's some serious work put into one image, and I really don't think this could have been done as easily with HDR.

The story linked to is copyrighted by Pocketwizard. And since this appeared on the "Pocket Wizard blog", welllllll...PocketWizard FlexTT5 Transceiver Radio Slave for Canon 801-150

I've read about this kind of industrial photography work over the past several decades. I noticed he also used a high-end Elinchrom Ranger portable electronic flash system
Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion Standard Set S Heads EL 10403.1

I've seen examples of even BIGGER scenes, lighted by a series of flashbulbs...in one case, and entire plywood mill, approximately 240x240 feet, all lighted with about $10 worth of flashbulbs...and it looked better than this. Before I opened the link, I kind of expected to be blown away, but it looks like an average HDR shot. But in the modern era, Pocket Wizards are kinda the in thing. PocketWizard FlexTT5 Transceiver Radio Slave for Canon 801-150

But it's good to know that it was done with apprx. $3,000 worth of gear, and it made a nice blog post. I once lighted an entire office building using Kodachrome 64, using a Vivitar 285HV and about 30 flash pops off of a Quantum Turbo battery. I'm not sure, exactly, why the Elinchrom Ranger Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid Li-Ion Standard Set S Heads EL 10403.1 was necessary for this.

But it does make a good promo for the Pockletwizard people and their products. PocketWizard FlexTT5 Transceiver Radio Slave for Canon 801-150

Most reactions

Back