450D SD Cards? Why SD?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by keith204, Jan 24, 2008.

1. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    For me, the Wireless Grip would be useful at the auto race track. It's a small track, and my wife runs the booth. It would be great if when I take the pictures, she can get them right away. The booth is fairly close to the track, so I could probably set up a router there, and a range extender in the flagstand, and be good to go. That would make us a few extra sales if the drivers knew that once they won, they could immediately get pictures....once they're in the hype of winning all that money.

2. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    About 10 years ago, I worked with a company that placed sallish mainframish computers aboard seagoing ships for research (oil drilling related too). Harddrives of that period had a high failure rate due to the not-so-computer-friendly environment. The issue was resolved by replacing their hard drives with solid state SCSI based ones. IIRC, they were like 10k for 30gb... somethign like that. So 128GB for $3200 might seem expensive.. it is not... and soon enough. it will continue to get cheaper so that we will all get to reap their advantages.

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    With me, I just don't care.

Either I am shooting in a public place where somebody could take the same exact picture I just took (with a lot less effort than it takes to stand within wireless range and suck off my images), or I am shooting out in the wild (where nobody else is within miles of me).

I mean, if somebody REALLY wants a picture of a zoo animal or a flower or a bug that I just took bad enough to steal it, then they can have it.

Of course, if they asked I would just give it to them anyway.

Information lives to be free, at least around me.

4. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    I know people who say the same thing.....

They have $1000s of illegal software they leverage all day long... they usually keep quiet around me since I"m I make living in software.

5. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, you are absolutely correct, let me clarify my statement...

Information that I hold the legal copyright to (stuff that I create and whose ownership is 100 percent MINE) lives to be free. I don't pirate anything, or condone piracy of information theft of any kind...

I don't do photography as a business, it is strictly hobby, and I will share any/all of my stuff if anybody is silly enough to want any of it.

6. cameramike

cameramike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    its all got to do with trying to get the every day average joe to buy the camera. its also got the live view, a feature i dont think any "real" photographer would use. i've seen a few SD cards actually SNAP! mind you the kid wasnt being gentle but still it did crack. i personally like CF over sd, its bigger which means harder to loose and harder to break. the pins can be a PITA but just insert right every time and you are golden.

wireless transfer would be awesome, i would love to have a 200GB hard drive sitting in my back pack snap, saved directly to the hard drive, get home plug it in and be done. if you are that paranoid then you shouldn't even be on the computer, on a cell phone, or even using a cordless phone in our house. anything can be hacked into.

solid state will drop probably a good amount end of 2008 closer to 2009, about a year after its been out

7. Deadeye008

Deadeye008 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  8. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    :drool: that's awesome. It'll be cool when they have one that just wires it straight to your hd rather than saving it on the card.

I think SD cards have their benefits. To be honest, one of the reasons I went with a d40 to start out was because I didn't want to have to deal with bending a pin and paying $200 to have it fixed if I were to get a rebel. Considering the price of memory, if an SD card breaks or gets corrupted (which has only happened to one of my 10 cards), it's a whole lot cheaper to get a new one then to get your camera fixed. I've never had to buy CF cards, but SD cards cost roughly $10 a gig for basic, non-pro type stuff, and it can often go cheaper.

9. Rabieshund

Rabieshund TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They switched to SD to make room for the 3" LCD.

10. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I know it's dead easy. I'm the first to toy with cracking WEP encryption or trying out new dodgy tricks to find on the internet. I also think a lot about security, but only where it's worth it.

I run a wireless internet at home, all wireless computers must use IPSec so even if the key is broken no one can start stealing my bandwidth. This is something I care about. Someone listening to my calls on bluetooth, or stealing to my pictures, frankly if they go to the trouble they deserve to listen to my boring conversations or have my photos. I was just pointing out that who would go to the effort to steal someone's photos. This is not something you prepare for unless someone specifically advertises "I use wireless to do my photoshoots"

11. usayit

Photos OK to edit
    Off topic...

IPSec inside your network???? Its a good way to insert yet another translation within the network layer... I could understand over VPN tunnel but inside? oh ok... to each their own. (Just turn off network name broadcast and start filtering mac addresses...)

And you say Thorhammer is paranoid...

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Oh it simply made sense because of the way out network was setup. We have an old legacy wifi bridge (not a router), this connects to the Linux computer which has 3 network cards. One for the wifi where IPSec is running, one outputs to the ADSL modem the other to the internal ethernet network.

If I didn't have all the necessary gear before I started I'd agree that it it would be needlessly complicated, but this way it ensures that even if someone cracked the old WEP key (by old I mean 48bit WEP with no WPA) which could be cracked by any kid in a matter of minutes, they'd be entirely ignored by every device on that isolated part of the network.