4k UHD As A Monitor For Editing

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just curious if there are any out there that use next generation smart TV's as monitors. I've been experimenting with my M-series Vizio 4k smart tv and so far like what I see. The only problem (minor) is having to connect via HDMI as opposed to wireless. The TV will connect wireless to my router and network drive, but not to my laptop (or I haven't figured out how to yet). Though I haven't tried yet, I'm told that most of the color calibration software/hardware will work on the TV the same as on a monitor. With 3840 x 2160 resolution and 1.07 billion colors, I haven't found a downside yet. For me the viewing distance seems to be more comfortable than viewing a monitor up close. Any thoughts?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
After being in an office for 60 plus hours a week (mostly behind a desk) for over 30 years, being behind one now is the last place I want to be. Couch, recliner is now my go to choice.

Editing from across a room doesn't sound like a great idea to me. I like seeing the details 'up close and personal'.
40" 4k is a great editing platform though, I use it for video production mostly, but also for music production and photo editing as well as 3d modeling and graphic arts work.

At 40" you're only slightly less than the 43" 4k in my den. Viewing distance to my screen is 5' from the recliner which gives good visibility without being overwhelmed. I set the laptop to the side and use a wireless mouse on the lap board. The 55" in the media room does seem a little large, for editing work.

I didn't mean it won't work for you, it just wouldn't work for the way I like to work at a desk. I have my modeling amp, guitars, keyboards, all within reach and it's what I am used to. I think your solution is great if you can make it work for you. Well done. :)
The only technical problem I can see is that the TV is an 8 bit color processor and the monitors are 10 bit and the tv doesn't have a display port so you are forced to connect with HDMI.

I didn't mean it won't work for you, it just wouldn't work for the way I like to work at a desk. I have my modeling amp, guitars, keyboards, all within reach and it's what I am used to. I think your solution is great if you can make it work for you. Well done. :)
The only technical problem I can see is that the TV is an 8 bit color processor and the monitors are 10 bit and the tv doesn't have a display port so you are forced to connect with HDMI.

Looks like you may have an unconventional workspace as well .

Mine are 8 bit but it's my understanding that there are already 10 bit 4k'so out there.

Looks like you may have an unconventional workspace as well .

Mine are 8 bit but it's my understanding that there are already 10 bit 4k'so out there.
Yes, but to get the proper connections for a computer, you need a true computer monitor.

As for a TV, I am still waiting for the latest advancements in HDR to make it to the consumer level and for the industry to finalize the standards for it.

Most reactions

Back