Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Three photos of the 4th of July parade in Bemidji, Minnesota:

5926140002_1234791fd0_b.jpg

5926141302_b4e5012458_b.jpg

5925578995_2f66bbb67c_b.jpg

These pics seem to have some serious colour clipping, especially in the third image. Were you trying to bring out shadow detail from a high contrast image?

Just trying to make it look like a modern Rockwell...

Okay so I'm being facetious...that's interesting...so you see that I've somehow got the colors out-of-gamut, how can I tell and how can I stay away from doing that in the future?

Last edited:
I have found I have a really hard time taking nice photos when there are humans in them. Damn them humans!

...I've somehow got the colors out-of-gamut, how can I tell and how can I stay away from doing that in the future?
Proper exposure. That really is the only way, and since supplemental lighting probably wasn't an option here, you're pretty much threaded. There are times when you just can't get the shot you want.

...so you see that I've somehow got the colors out-of-gamut, how can I tell and how can I stay away from doing that in the future?
Well, the tones look flat and the colours appear muted because of the lack of shadow and highlight. Even with a good tan, the orange people in number three caught my eye and then I looked a little closer and noticed there are no real blacks especially in the huge shadow of the wheel well where you would expect to see it. So if you keep looking, the reds, white and blue in the half moon decoration all have two tones... a lighter and darker version of the hue. This is what tells me the tones have been clipped and have lost the subtle variations.

I am not sure if that analysis is what you were looking for.

My motto when using the shadow/highlight tool has always been, "When it looks like crap, you've gone too far."

You can tell by the shadows that the sun is directly overhead, so even trying to fill would be difficult. It was just a really tough time of day to shoot and you don't have control over when the parade happens.

On a lighter note, I chose the best sitting spot...the parade turned on to the street directly behind me so the parade tended to slow down in the area I was shooting...and there was a nice shade tree where I was sitting...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back