What's new

5 Building shots-

ChrisLarner

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 6, 2011
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Location
England
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi am looking for some feed back on my 5 final images that I am doing for a university project. The project is history around Yorkshire so I have photographed hold ruin abbey's etc.

Was just wondering if any one has the time to give me positive or negative feedback towards any of these photographs has they will help me out thanks



Round hay by Cjl-photography, on Flickr


Kirkstall Abbey by Cjl-photography, on Flickr


Bolton Abbey by Cjl-photography, on Flickr


Victoria Tower by Cjl-photography, on Flickr


Hardcrag Castle by Cjl-photography, on Flickr
 
2nd and 4th are great. Would be fantastic with HDR
 
I like 2 & 4 as well, only in the second one you have cut off the top of the building. The first one needs to be recomposed to give it better symmetry. The building is off centre.

I like the last one as well, great reflection in the water and the composition is strong but I don't like the blown out sky.
 
Thanks for the feedback appreciate it!
 
IMHO:
I like 2,4,&5, with 5 being the one I like most. I don't know how much PP you have or can do, but 5 needs a better sky, which judging from the reflection existed when you shot, so it should be able to be enhanced somewhat. 2 has a great subject, and 4 is a lovely simple subject, but both could use a bit of composition change if it is possible (I have no idea if there is access to other angles) it could be just me but 4 seems tilted a bit, and I'd love to see the sidewalk bend entirely in view then it makes an even more balanced leading line to the tower. 2 I like, but find the trees distracting as well as the washed out sky, so roaming a bit to minimize the distractions I think would make it better.

Eric
 
The wrong time of day for #3 and #5 - generally you want the sun illuminating the building from behind you, so the building is better lit and the sky in the background is not washed out. #4 is not bad, but needs straightening and is a little underexposed. #1 and #2 also have some perspective problems ("falling-over" buildings) and the buildings are cut off in a couple of places. The last two are the most interesting because they relate the buildings to their environment. A little more of the walkway in #4 would probably improve it further.
 
#2, #4 and #5 are keepers.. and could be improved by increasing the dynamic range of the photos. Use HDR exposure fusion, with minimal tonemapping... keep them as real as possible. Properly done, you will get a lot more detail in the shadows, and not blow the sky out either. It would probably work for #3 also...

As mentioned... try not to cut of building parts.. keep them whole!

You have do not edit in your profile.. but may I post an example? I would like to take #5.. and do a faux HDR on it... by creating a lighter and a darker image and then merging them.... I think you would be amazed at the difference!

I went ahead and did the edit... and am going to post it.. I really hope you don't mind! I am trying to help...

Orignal
6910092448_f5dfe70265.jpg


HDR
View attachment 6019
 
Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom