Iron, thank you for the comments. I just threw the name on there since I was posting these on facebook as well and I didn't want something nasty across the middle. I'm getting photoshop elemnts soon so I'll put my name more across the middle, but halfway transparent. I know nobody is going to steal THESE particular pictures, but I already had irfanview set up to do that when I bulk resized and I had some funny pics that I had posted elsewhere.
The child ones are dark because it wasnt terribly bright in my living room and I was trying natural light (ISO 200 to prevent them from being terribly noisy, and f/1.8). On my later shots I started using the flash a bit, but on those it was just natural light. I was already at 1/60th or so and my son does not sit still for more than a split second. At 1/30th of a second most of the pics were a bit blurry because of his movement. I did have them a bit TOO dark, I agree. For some reason when I set the exposure to -1/3 and even -1 EV the pictures actually turned out way brighter than the room. I over compensated (by under compensating) to around -2 ev and then later changed it to -1.7. Looks like these two in particular should have been around -1 or -1.3. I wish my nikon d60 had exposure bracketing, in tricky lighting like I was in it would have been useful.
On posing, I'm not all that creative and don't have that many ideas yet :-\ On positioning though there wasn't much we could do in that particular instance. My son was on my back in a backpack and those rocks were 3-4 feet below the walkway, she had to climb over the rail to get there in the first place ;-)