What's new

50mm carl zeiss 1.4

Robin Usagani

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jun 6, 2010
Messages
10,347
Reaction score
2,174
Location
Denver, CO
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do you think it is dumb if I switch my Canon 50 f/1.4 with carl zeiss 50m f/1.4? That means I will lose the AF. What do you guys think?
 
Im not sure about this CZ lens specifically.. but theyre suppose to be amazing. Youll lose AF, but I think you still get focus confirmation. Whatre the planned uses for said lens?
 
The optics of the Zeiss are superb. But have you ever shot an event in manual focus? All I have to say is I love my AF! Especially during the reception.

If you can do it in MF I'd go with the Zeiss, if you can't then stick with the Canon. The difference of the optics between the two aren't worth missing moments that clients have.

On a side note I've compared the 50 1.2L and the Zeiss 1.4 and and with the optics alone I'd rather go with Zeiss if I had the eye for MF.
 
I religiously check local craigslist and there is one on sale for $550 before I bargain it. Thats why I'm asking. Good pt Camz. I probably never buy the 50mm 1.2L. My next big spend is the 35 mm L.
 
The reputation the Cosina-made "Zeiss" 50mm Planar has is high resolution, and harsh, bad, Zeiss-like bokeh...CZ 50mm f/1.4 - FM Forums

Not sure why you'd want the manual focus Zeiss 50 when the Canon 50/1.4 has such good bokeh,and more than adequate contrast and resolution for any d-slr. Besides, all that Zeiss resolution isn't worth a damn if the lens is not focused **perfectly**.
 
I've actually heard some mixed reviews about the 1.4... how it is not as sharp as the other Zeiss stuff, I've never used one though. I shoot the Zeiss 50mm 2.0 Makro-planar, and it's optics are absolutely brilliant. So brilliant they made me upgrade my focusing screen :lol: Because as Derrel says, you really do need to get the focus perfect. The feeling of color and depth I get with that lens always impresses me though. I've heard people attribute it to superior micro-contrast... I dunno what it is, but I like it!
 
i want zeiss because.... well..... its zeiss! xD

but like camz said, if you're working in a professional environment, you cant afford to miss moments
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom