What's new

50mm f/1.8 filter?

nateMN

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 9, 2009
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Location
Minneapolis, MN
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
From the threads I've already read, it seems filters are a bit of a personal preference. That said, I have a CirPl on my kit lens, but nothing on my 50mm.

For all you prime lens owners, what do you use (or don't)?
 
From the threads I've already read, it seems filters are a bit of a personal preference. That said, I have a CirPl on my kit lens, but nothing on my 50mm.

For all you prime lens owners, what do you use (or don't)?

Usually nothing but, when I'm in a risky environment, I use a clear glass lens protector and, when circumstances warrant, I use a polarizer. I always use a lens hood with all of my lenses.

My primes are 50mm f/1.4 and 85mm f/1.8.
 
yeah, I'm hesitant of getting a polarizer because of adding stop(s) on such a fast lens.
thanks for the idea of clear glass. even though it's an inexpensive lens, I feel better cleaning a filter vs the actual glass.
 
Personal preference? That sounds silly.

You just use whatever filter is necessary for the task.
 
yeah, I'm hesitant of getting a polarizer because of adding stop(s) on such a fast lens.
thanks for the idea of clear glass. even though it's an inexpensive lens, I feel better cleaning a filter vs the actual glass.

I rarely need a polarizer indoors. Outdoors, I don't often worry as much about the speed of the glass as I do the depth of field. I use my Cir Pol often on my 50mm 1.8.
 
yeah, I'm hesitant of getting a polarizer because of adding stop(s) on such a fast lens.
thanks for the idea of clear glass. even though it's an inexpensive lens, I feel better cleaning a filter vs the actual glass.

I rarely need a polarizer indoors. Outdoors, I don't often worry as much about the speed of the glass as I do the depth of field. I use my Cir Pol often on my 50mm 1.8.

I don't think that I've ever used a polarizer indoors. Outdoors, I use it only when I want the effects that it produces. Otherwise, I'm merely adding glass surfaces with no benefit.
 
I keep a UV filter on every lens just for protection. It is cheaper to replace a filter that fix a scratched lens. I also have a C-PL filter for most. They come on and off as needed.

Craig
 
yeah, I'm hesitant of getting a polarizer because of adding stop(s) on such a fast lens.
thanks for the idea of clear glass. even though it's an inexpensive lens, I feel better cleaning a filter vs the actual glass.

I rarely need a polarizer indoors. Outdoors, I don't often worry as much about the speed of the glass as I do the depth of field. I use my Cir Pol often on my 50mm 1.8.

I don't think that I've ever used a polarizer indoors. Outdoors, I use it only when I want the effects that it produces. Otherwise, I'm merely adding glass surfaces with no benefit.


I use it to help cut reflections off glass of museum cases or zoo cages .... that's about the only time I use it indoors.
 
I keep a UV filter on every lens just for protection. It is cheaper to replace a filter that fix a scratched lens. I also have a C-PL filter for most. They come on and off as needed.

Craig
If the main lens is properly cared for and never gets scratched in the first place, there is no need for the expense of 'protection' filters.

C-PL filters are a necessary part of a basic photography kit and can pay big dividends when used outdoors. You won't use a C-PL for every outdoor shot, but you would want to for many of them.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom