50mm Lenses for D90

JenDeshler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi! I have a D90 body that I am going to be purchasing my first lens for soon. I am looking at getting a 50mm. I am still pretty new to dslr, but have been reading and reading and reading, just hard to put it all together without an actual lens to get my hands on. I'm not really getting the differences between some of the lenses, besides the obvious price difference. Can someone help me out and explain the differences between these? Also, does spending more money mean a better lens?? All of these are in my range....or if anyone has better suggestions, they are welcome too! Thank you!

Nikon 50mm f/1.8D AF ($125)
Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW ($480)
Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF ($360)

This won't answer your question and it will bring you more trouble for your decision, but have considered this lens?:

Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX ($199)

it was done by Nikon for DX format only and it does have internal motor for autofocus capabilities, which you may need in your D90.

Since you're new to the world of dslr like myself, I'd go for the 50mm 1.8 for now. It's cheap and perfect to start out on. It was my 1st lens purchase as well and I immediately fell in love with primes. I used the 50mm when I was practicing using manual mode. I also have the 35mm 1.8 that was mentioned. The 50mm can get kind of tight. They both take nice pics. When you feel more comfortable with your camera, then you can start collecting the good glass.

I think you'll appreciate the better handling and sharpness wide open on the 50G than either the 1.4 or 1.8D.

The 1.8 isn't that great wide open, especially with the pixel density on DX. Also, the 50G with the hood on + D90 feels amazing It balances perfect on it, and i love using the 50G on my D70 for portraits. It's just the right focal length to work for both bull body and head n' shoulders, the sharpness is great, and the bokeh is generally pleasant.

The difference between these lenses is the speed (aperture). The f/1.8 lens is cheaper because it only goes to f/1.8. While the two f/1.4 lenses both go to f/1.4, the G lens has a built in AF motor which makes it more expensive than the f/1.4D counterpart.

If you're gonna go f/1.4 I would spend the extra $100 or so and get the G lens. I have the 50mm f/1.4D AF lens and it is nice, but it's pretty soft and loses a lot of contrast at f/1.4. But from f/2 on it's sweet.

If you don't need that kind of speed stick with the f/1.8. It's inexpensive and sharp stopped down a bit.

AF-S versions will focus a bit quicker than the AF lens, if that is one of your considerations.

I also recommend the 1.4G over the others.

Most reactions

Back