50mm or 35mm?

Whatever. Get both (and very reasonable at $325 for the pair).

If you want a complete kit from there up, add the:
  • 85mm f/1.8 ($450)
  • 105mm f/2 ($890)
  • 135mm f/2 ($1300)
  • 180mm f/2.8 ($900)
  • 200mm f/2 ($4800)
Going beyond is optional. But, if you want to go to sports/wildlife/surveillance photographer land: :D
  • 300 mm f/2.8 ($5300)
  • 400mm f/2.8 ($9000)
  • 500mm f/4 ($8500)
  • 600mm f/4 ($10,300) long wait for one of these, new.
This I can get behind! Gear, gear, and more GEAR!

Can I Buy Some More Gear.gif

Your friend is right, with the crop factor it is 75 mm, .....
Bollucks! This is internet dribble.

If you have a 35mm lens or a 50mm lens, that is what you have... period. The focal length does not change. However, the field of view (FoV) does narrow. Do more research to find out the difference.

I have the 35mm f/2 & the 50mm f/1.8. Both are fine lenses. I do not endorse DX lenses personally, but the new 35mm f/1.8 is supposed to be a nice lens. For street type photography, I think you will find the 35mm a good focal length, but then again, so is the 50mm. I also have a D80.

Go into a local shop and try both of them out, unless you do as suggested above. But due to the fact the either of these lenses ARE NOT kit material, there will be a difference in what you can accomplish with them versus the kit lens at the respective focal lengths

Yes you are correct, so what is it about the DX lens that you don't care for ? I am interested in the 17-55mm DX, something I should know ? thanks

....... so what is it about the DX lens that you don't care for ?
It's based completely on personal preference, nothing else. I knew at some point I would be going back to full frame, even before Nikon came out with the D3. My thoughts were to pick up an old film camera and I didn't want to limit myself with DX lenses. If one doesn't intend to ever go full frame, Nikon is making it easier now with the assortment of DX lenses they are putting out for that market.

Although the D700 will accept DX lenses, it drops down from a 12M image to a 5M image..... not acceptable for me. I have only three DX lenses.... the kit lens with the D80 and the 55-200mm that was purchased at the same time. Later I procured the 12-24mm lens and am quite happy with it because I have no intention to sell off either the D80 or the D300 atm. I'm hoping one of my sons will show an interest and I can pass off the D80 to them.

Most reactions

Back