50mm question

mrstravis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently purchased a Nikon 50mm 1.8. I really like it but...when it's on anything other than 1.8 I get an error message telling me to "lock lens aperture ring at minimum aperture. (largest f/-number)." When it says that, it won't allow me to do anything until its locked at 1.8. Why is this, and if it can only be used in 1.8, why does it go up (down) to 22?

What camera do you have and what specific 50mm f/1.8 do you have?

I'd suspect you need to lock the aperture ring at f/22 to allow the camera to adjust the aperture at the time of exposure.

You can only control the aperture through either the camera or manually on the lens, not both. Put it to F/22 and lock it in, then use the camera to change the aperture. If you want to change it on the lens, you have to select that option in the camera, otherwise you will get an error.

o hey tyler said:
What camera do you have and what specific 50mm f/1.8 do you have?

I'd suspect you need to lock the aperture ring at f/22 to allow the camera to adjust the aperture at the time of exposure.

I have a Nikon d3100. The lens is a Nikon 50mm 1:1.8D. It will only work when it's locked at 1.8.

Ballistics said:
You can only control the aperture through either the camera or manually on the lens, not both. Put it to F/22 and lock it in, then use the camera to change the aperture. If you want to change it on the lens, you have to select that option in the camera, otherwise you will get an error.

Ok thank you so much for your help. Any reason why it has other f numbers if they can't be adjusted on camera?

Ballistics said:

Ok thank you so much for your help. Any reason why it has other f numbers if they can't be adjusted on camera?
The aperture CAN be adjusted on camera, that's what Ballistics is saying. I have a D5100, and an old-style Sigma zoom that's the same way.
Put it on the camera, turn the dial on the lens to f22 and leave it there; that should make the error message go away, and now you should be able to adjust the aperture FROM THE CAMERA as you normally would.

As Ballistics said the aperture ring on the lens has to be locked at f/22. Turn the aperture ring to f/22 then be sure the small lock button with the red dot is in the lock position. After doing that you can adjust the aperture with your camera if it is working properly. If this doesn't work try cleaning the lens contacts.

Jerry

Ballistics said:

This is an older lens and has probably been around since before apertures could be adjusted in camera therefore the aperture had to be adjusted with the aperture ring on the lens.

Jerry

Ditto previous poster.
There is a tiny little red lock adjustment on the lens just above and I think on the right end of the aperture ring, put it on F22 and move the little red lock adjustment...good to go.

The most efficient way to solve most camera/lens technical issues is to refer to their respective user's manuals.

Thanks guys. The lens actually came with limited instructions. I read those first. Thanks again for all of your help.

Page 192 of the D3100 user's manual - Error code in viewfinder: fEE (blinks)
Error code on monitor - Set lens aperture ring to minimum aperture.

Solution
Set lens aperture ring to minimum aperture.

And refers you to additional information on pages 17 and 168.

It's my understanding the D3100 user's manual is on the disc that came with the camera, but you can download Nikon user's manual here: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13948/kw/manuals/r_id/116678

Last edited:
Page 192 of the D3100 user's manual - Error code in viewfinder: fEE (blinks)
Error code on monitor - Set lens aperture ring to minimum aperture.

Solution
Set lens aperture ring to minimum aperture.

WINNING!

DiskoJoe said:

Ah, I was expecting to find the resolution in the pamphlet in 60 different languages that came with the lens. Ok, admittedly I don't like reading manuals but it's apparent that I need to start. So in the future, to help me out, if there is something that I can find in my manual, just tell me to look there, don't give me an answer. Make me work for it darnit!! Thanks again for the help guys.

Ballistics said:

It's for backwards compatibility. Older Nikon film cameras required that the aperture be adjusted on the lens, but every camera nikon's released since the mid 90's have had the adjustment on the bodies. Some old-timer photographers still prefer it on the lens, and many nikon bodies allow you to choose to use this option instead.

Most reactions

Back