50mm with tubes CC

Hooker771

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally figured out last night that I can shoot with the 50mm with tubes and not turn the lens backwards. WHat a difference that makes! For some reason I was under the impression that you had to flip the lens. When I did that my DOF was too small to really use it. I think I actually got a couple of serviceable photos here. Please let me know what you think.

Sink
4149736963_23e3619afc.jpg

Fishing worms LOL
4149735421_ec0536d31e.jpg

Me in the cats eye
4150493682_fc055bdfec.jpg

Lens
4150491248_d5750aa2fc.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2645/4149736963_23e3619afc.jpg

Just a 50 with tubes huh? Very nice. May I ask what mm you used?
I was thinking about doing the flip thing but it justs seems to much of a pain for substandard DOF and other issues. I love the cats eye. Different perspective!

Pretty good stuff! I like the cat's eye photo the most. Reverse mounting a Canon EF or EF-S lens is not very handy,since you lose all control over the f/stop,and the lens stays stuck at wide-open aperture. Extension tubes are a much better option. You did well with your new setup!

That shot of the rubber worms looks pretty neat in an abstract sort of way.

Thanks Derrel, im pretty excited about this because I can now hold off until after Christmas to get a true Macro lens. The only set back with this was having to get SO close to my subject. Also I got the really cheap tubes 4$ off ebay and I lose all controls anyway.

3 Ring Macro Extension Tube f CANON Rebel XT XTi XS XSi - eBay (item 370217664837 end time Dec-16-09 06:09:53 PST)

But I did learn a trick on the canon XS from a member here. If you set your fstop where you want it on the 50mm you can hit the small button on the front of the camera to "lock in " that stop. WHile holding that button in take the lens off the camera and attach the tubes. I have mine locked in at f8. Once I get more practice ill probably buy better tubes or get the canon 60mm or 100mm depending on how my bets do this bowl season:lmao:

Stormchase, im not sure about your question.... But the lens is the 50mm 1:1.8 version 2

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Derrel, what tubes would you reccomend that I could use with my canon xs and 50mm where I dont lose the electrical connection and can still shoot with AF and Ap. I tried to send you a message but youve got that blocked.

THanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow, nice photos. I like what you get in first photo. You know the drop is white-transparent-white. If you could please, tell you get that. I know that probably you put water into milk. But the position of transparent part is so good in my opinion, or is it just luck?
I like what you did with worms ;)
The cat's eye is fun, and last is ok.

icassell, any clue what the difference would be in the one you suggested and something like this.
MCAETEOSP Pro Optic Budget Auto Extention Tube Set for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Meike)

Since its just a tube, would it matter how cheap you went?

Krasnal, The water drop was my white porcelain bathroom sink filled to the brim with water and I left the tap on to drip. I held a flashlight and shined that into the white sink boucing the light back up. I had to take a ton of pictures to get the one I wanted. heres one more shot from last night when my beer spilled. Instead of cleaning it up......

4149733909_7a28a043b6.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, I might have to really look into a cheap eBay extension tube now. This looks like fun. With my [Nikon] 50 f/1.8, I should be able to still manually adjust the aperture on the lens, too.

icassell, any clue what the difference would be in the one you suggested and something like this.
MCAETEOSP Pro Optic Budget Auto Extention Tube Set for Canon EOS SLR Cameras (Meike)

]

Hmmm ... there is just air, so I guess the only difference might be mount quality. I do see that the ones from Adorama are not compatible with EF-S lenses, but I don't know about the Kenko ones. $30 doesn't seem like a big risk (especially if you are using an EF and not an EF-S lens).

Thanks Derrel, im pretty excited about this because I can now hold off until after Christmas to get a true Macro lens. The only set back with this was having to get SO close to my subject. Also I got the really cheap tubes 4$ off ebay and I lose all controls anyway.

3 Ring Macro Extension Tube f CANON Rebel XT XTi XS XSi - eBay (item 370217664837 end time Dec-16-09 06:09:53 PST)

But I did learn a trick on the canon XS from a member here. If you set your fstop where you want it on the 50mm you can hit the small button on the front of the camera to "lock in " that stop. WHile holding that button in take the lens off the camera and attach the tubes. I have mine locked in at f8. Once I get more practice ill probably buy better tubes or get the canon 60mm or 100mm depending on how my bets do this bowl season:lmao:

Stormchase, im not sure about your question.... But the lens is the 50mm 1:1.8 version 2

Now THAT is a nifty tip! Pressing the depth of field preview button on a Canon, then keeping the button depressed while mounting the lens and tubes! Owners of $4.00 e-Bay sold extension tubes everywhere will thank you! I thanked you because I think your tip is worth noting. I marvel at the ability of the Chinese to produce,market,and sell a set of three extension tubes for under $4.00. The Kenko-AF three-ring set is quite good, but costs more money, but will give you full control over the lens diaphragm setting.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

]

Hmmm ... there is just air, so I guess the only difference might be mount quality. I do see that the ones from Adorama are not compatible with EF-S lenses, but I don't know about the Kenko ones. $30 doesn't seem like a big risk (especially if you are using an EF and not an EF-S lens).
Mount quality, yes. Also, some of the plastic ones have been known to sag/deform with heavier lenses attached. Especially if you have several tubes coupled together with the lens.

Most reactions

Back