58mm Noct Nikkor F/1.2 AIS to die for

haring

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience with 58mm Noct Nikkor F/1.2 AIS lenses?
I would love to have one.

- Does anybody compare ti to a Canon 50mm 1.2 L?
- Does is focus accurately on a Nikon D3?

AI-S is a manual focus lens.

No it doesn't compare to a Canon 50mm f/1.2 L. It blows it out of the water. Mind you the Canon definitely beats it on value for money given that a 30 year old second hand Noct Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 would set you back between $3000 and $5000 depending on its condition. The Noct-Nikkor was designed from the ground up to be used at f/1.2, it is sharper at f/1.2 then the 50mm f/1.4 is when stopped down to f/4. A quick google will give you many example pages that will make you happy in your pants.

The Noct is very sharp wide open. The bonus is a very nice bokeh.

4136262616_baed148133_z.jpg

Last edited:
Wow awesome lens.

No, don't think so, assuming a camera-to-subject distance of about 6', DoF at 1.2 on an FF body should be just under 4", which seems about your getting in that image.

If that is full frame it was taken at much less than 6 ft. Closer to 3 ft I would guess. I'm mainly judging DoF by how my Noctilux pictures look at f/1.2, though it is difficult to tell with small, low resolution images.

Best,
Helen

It looks like there is about one inch,maximum, of useful depth of field...only the front of his soul patch, part of his 'stache, and his eyes are in focus.

If that is full frame it was taken at much less than 6 ft. Closer to 3 ft I would guess. I'm mainly judging DoF by how my Noctilux pictures look at f/1.2, though it is difficult to tell with small, low resolution images.

Best,
Helen

The image is slightly cropped. I was at about 85cm (almost 3 feet) of the subject.
Wide open on D700, here with full exif:

4136262616_35036b878a_o.jpg

Wow indeed !
I am in love with this lens.
Rendition is near the Noctilux f/0.95 for a third of the price and half the minimal focusing distance.

Here's another one at f/2.0:

4134311657_ec8e573d2c_b.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back