5d classic as backup wedding camera

johnny5dmkii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi friends!

In november I have a wedding comming up. Would the old 5d mki Classic be a good backup camera? I can get one for 250 euro used.

Thanks for your comment!

Best Johnny

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

What is your primary body?

It's a good camera to have for a few shots but definitely wouldn't rely on it for getting stunning wedding shots.

Hi friends!

In november I have a wedding comming up. Would the old 5d mki Classic be a good backup camera? I can get one for 250 euro used.

Thanks for your comment!

Best Johnny

One wedding? Rent a backup camera.

Multiple weddings? Purchase a better backup camera.

Hi @PaulWog well renting cost me 120 euro... this 5d classic with a grip 250 euro... still don't kow what to do. I also need a 85mm though

Hi @PaulWog well renting cost me 120 euro... this 5d classic with a grip 250 euro... still don't kow what to do. I also need a 85mm though

I think this just really depends on the business end of things.

A 5d mk-i is going to be an okay camera. However, regardless of how you look at it, it is old and dated. If photography is your primary income, a proper second body goes without question. If photography is an alternate source of income, but you're still shooting weddings fairly regularly, I would also say get a better second body.

Since this all comes back to business, I suppose the best answer to your question is what can you afford, based on how much you are charging? Since you are shooting professionally, I assume you know the best answer to your question already.

Thank you... photography is a side job for me. And this is going to be my first wedding

What is your primary body?

It's a good camera to have for a few shots but definitely wouldn't rely on it for getting stunning wedding shots.

why is that?
did nobody take stunning wedding shots in 2005-2006?

that camera is just as effective now as it was when it was released. a common gear elitist myth is that newer and better models somehow negate the effectiveness of previous models.

7bef7ce479b4150631765c4af5c3388f.jpg

Just bought it!

on my D600's, the 85mm was my favorite lens for weddings and protraits....when the 70-200 wasnt needed for the zoom range.
85 is a great focal length on a full frame camera. 35mm is going to be wide on that camera, compared to a crop frame, so good for group shots.
85 will be fine in a big room. a good middle ground would be a 50mm. indoors i often used a 24-70mm zoom.

Most reactions

Back