5D Vs 40D

Yeah, go for the 5D and a 70-200 f/4.

hes selling it for 1300, because i live away from my house on campus and dont have a car i havent been able to go out and feel one yet. ive held the 40D, but i think the 5D is a little bigger, and im looking foward to that viewfinder...

Almost not even noticeable. It's slightly wider, and noticeably heavier. But I consider that a good thing because it helps when shooting in lower light.

They are apples and oranges my friend. For the sake of answering your question though, I have both and don't use the 40D unless I don't have enough time to swap lenses on my 5D. ie: During a wedding ceremony when I don't have time to change lenses from a normal lens to a telephoto lens on the 5D for fear of missing something. I usually leave my telephoto attached to the 40D on a tripod in the back and carry the 5D.

*sigh* unfortunately i was just informed that he sold it today... but my interest in the 5D persists and i may look to buy it used off of craigs list...

keep in mind i am coming up from a XTi, im afraid the 5D might be a bit too much juice for me just because of its price niche...

I own both the XTi and the 40D. Had the XTi first then got the 40D. If you are good with the XTi, you will not see any improvement in IQ going to the 40D. You get easier to manage controls, spot metering, better focusing, stupid live-view, and more FPS. Your images will not change though.

I kick myself in the ass everyday for getting the 40D rather than the 5D.

Derrick

I've used 5D's and 40D's even 1Ds mkII's pretty extensively, and if I had a choice between any of them, I would choose the 5D every single time. It's an awesome camera, the sensor has really high acuity that's a little better then the D3/700.

did you mean the Old 5D or the brand new? ;) if yes, that means that the new sensor/software will be even better...

I own and use both regularly; they are both pretty nice cameras. Between a used 5D for $1300 and a new 40D for $1000 I'd say it's a toss up. The 5D has the image quality that convinced me to sell my Hasselblad. The 40D is pretty close, and has a much newer, slicker feature set. The 5D is definitely not a high action camera. If you don't need that high fps I say offer your friend $1200 for the 5D; that's a good deal. There are plenty of used 5Ds on Ebay going for $1300 - 1400. I bet that drops some more after the mkII comes out.

I own both the XTi and the 40D. Had the XTi first then got the 40D. If you are good with the XTi, you will not see any improvement in IQ going to the 40D. You get easier to manage controls, spot metering, better focusing, stupid live-view, and more FPS. Your images will not change though.

I kick myself in the ass everyday for getting the 40D rather than the 5D.

Derrick

this concerns me. but most people ive read/heard about say that the ISO performace is far superior to the XTi and thats one of the main reasons im upgrading. what aspects of IQ do you mean?

The ISO performance is better too, sorry I left that out. Using low ISO's though, I cannot tell one camera from the other when diggin' through my albums without looking at EXIF data.

Don't get me wrong, I love the 40D. I "upgraded" to the 40D for build, size of body, and speed (horse racing, rodeo, etc).

However, I love to enlarge my prints to larger than 8x10's on a regular basis. THis is where having the 5D would have been a major benefit.

I think my remorse for going with the 40D stems from my change in photography subjects. I used to love the above mentioned sports, wildlife, and birding. All of which the 40D was great at and still is. (pre-50D) Now I have been more into portraits and landscapes.....

You will love the 40D! I know I felt on top of the world with 2 wheels to shoot manual!

Derrick

If you have any specific questions of 40D vs XTi that I may be able to answer or do tests side by side, let me know.

the 40D feels like a really solid camera compared to the XTi, and yeah the two wheels... dreams. im probably going to pick up a used one in the near future and sell my XTi and pay about 400 for the upgrade.

did you mean the Old 5D or the brand new? ;) if yes, that means that the new sensor/software will be even better...
The olde 5D. in the studio, it's awesome.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back