$600 = Budget

thehollywoodteam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, what an excellent forum with countless information, happy to be part of something so amazing.

I'll try to keep it short...

I currently have a Canon P&S and want to get into photography. won't be applying it to my job (real estate), but wouldn't mind taking photos of properties. With all said, I've done some research and I'm inching closer to the D3000 or XS.

I have no intention of asking Nikon or Canon because both cameras have their goods/bads... all boils down to personal preference, however, in my situation, my cousin has the D700 with several lenses and enjoys photography.

My question for you guys is...should I take the plunge and purchase either camera brand new or purchase a higher model camera that might include lenses? I'm concerned that I'll outgrow the D3000 or XS really quick and regret not purchasing a better body/lens.

Thanks in advance for all your help

First off D3000 is a great camera. You won't regret buying it. For your first camera you don't want to go to big. You may learn a lot about the camera to where it seems "easy" to operate but that is only the first part. After that you have to actually learn how to take good pictures, now this is more of just getting to know your camera and the settings. This could take a while. By the time you become good at this part enough time will have passed to get a new one. Or you could start with the Nikon d5000 which is around 800. Either way they are both great cameras. With the camera's you will realize people always talk about how they have AWESOME cameras, but it doesn't mean anything a good photographer can take a better pic with a d3000 then a noob can with say a 7d. Have fun and good luck.

Are used cameras/lenses recommended? If so, which used camera would I be able to purchase around this $ range?

For $600 you could get a D80 setup (with lens), this would allow you to auto focus older lenses among a few other useful features (such as a top LCD display and dual command dials).

A lot of people buy a DSLR and end up rarely using it because they aren't ready for the 'commitment'.

Most reactions

Back