60d or 7d?

I think this has been said a billion times before but here goes..(Overread said it aswell) I seriously considered a D300S but I went with a D90 because it meant I could get more lenses. Now I have slowly built up my lens collection to the point where it is nearly complete apart from one lens.

Now when I next upgrade my camera body, I can invest in the body I really want as I know I don't need more lenses. As they say, glass is more important. The 60D will produce stunningly similar results to the 7D as its the same sensor, but as Penfolderoldo stated it depends whether you really need the extra Build quality and AF performance. I understand the 60D is not a flimsy piece of plastic like Canons rebel line, I understand it is a well built plastic camera. Tough Plastic as we know is alot tougher than we give it credit for.

Alright. I think I understand. You're saying that even though the 60d isn't completely up to build quality and AF performance of the 7d, it'll still be good enough for me.

Thank you everyone on your generous replies, as you probably get this question a lot.

One final question I have, this time regarding lenses. Is the Canon 28-135mm better than the 18-135?

I think this has been said a billion times before but here goes..(Overread said it aswell) I seriously considered a D300S but I went with a D90 because it meant I could get more lenses. Now I have slowly built up my lens collection to the point where it is nearly complete apart from one lens.

Now when I next upgrade my camera body, I can invest in the body I really want as I know I don't need more lenses. As they say, glass is more important. The 60D will produce stunningly similar results to the 7D as its the same sensor, but as Penfolderoldo stated it depends whether you really need the extra Build quality and AF performance. I understand the 60D is not a flimsy piece of plastic like Canons rebel line, I understand it is a well built plastic camera. Tough Plastic as we know is alot tougher than we give it credit for.

Alright. I think I understand. You're saying that even though the 60d isn't completely up to build quality and AF performance of the 7d, it'll still be good enough for me.

Thank you everyone on your generous replies, as you probably get this question a lot.

One final question I have, this time regarding lenses. Is the Canon 28-135mm better than the 18-135?

I'm no Canon lens expert, but I quickly checked out Welcome to Photozone!. And they really don't rate either lens too highly, the 18-135 does not get any plaudits at all. I have to say that is one weakness I find with Canon generally, their kit zooms really seem to not be too good. With the Nikon 18-55, it has dreadful build quality but half decent optics at least. Canon makes great lenses but they seem to mostly have the L designation next to them.

I think you would be better off looking at lenses such as the Sigma 17-50 or Sigma 17-70. Unless you can stump up cash for Canon zooms such as the 17-40 L or 70-200 L series or even the 17-55 2.8 then I would seriously think twice about buying Canon Kit zooms, just because Canon do not seem to put much effort into making them even half decent. Have you considered prime lenses?

I also hear the Canon 15-85 is a very good lens with a great focal range. So this is one I would consider if I was going for more basic Canon zoom lenses. But it ain't THAT cheap sadly! The Sigma 17-50 and 17-70 are highly rated lenses and are better than the lenses you mentioned.

Well all I'm looking for is a versatile zoom lens for general purpose walking around. I'm already planning on getting the 50mm f/1.8 and maybe upgrading to the f/1.4 in a year or so, and I'm planning on getting the 70-200 f/4 L in late April to shoot my eldest sister's graduation.

I'm really not looking to get prime lens optics out of either lens, I just need one that will suit me well and has good build quality.

your dad is paying right?
then why not get a 7D and a couple of L lens.

your dad is paying right?
then why not get a 7D and a couple of L lens.

Because he's already paying for three mortgages, three cars and a fourth in march, three college educations as well as the phone, insurance and gas bill. If it costs him too much, I don't want it.

I dont want to sound rude, it sounds like your dad has enough on his plate already. Maybe you should find out how much HE wants to spend, and go from there.

3 mortgages, 3 college education, bills, and 4 cars. your dad must make a **** load of money to be able to afford so many things.

why not consider a rebel. they are cheaper and more than capable for your needs.

Most reactions

Back