60p, up close!

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been messing with sill combinations of macro tubes, etc. For this, I had 30cm of extension (3 lots of tubes, plus a macro bellows) and my 135mm manual M42 lens.

I mounted the lot on 2 tripods for stability, and then shot this. This is a stack of several shots (12, I think)...slight crop to remove the artifacts that are left by the slightly diffferent FoV when adjusting the focus.

10p coins by Bend The Light, on Flickr

Just for comparison...this is a ruler, and those marks are mm...This (I think) shows a agnification on the sensor of 2.22 to 1 (i.e. Objects that are 1cm wide will cover the sensor width from edge to edge on my 400d. )

30cm macro tubes inc rail and 135mm by Bend The Light, on Flickr

That's a lot of magnification you've added.

Not sure what aperture you've used, or what DOF you got when shooting. Seems a lot of shots to stack for such a small area of focus.

Certainly could be sharper. Not sure if this is the stack, the lens at that magnification, drop off in light ?, or some shake ( tho you mentioned using two tripods).

Hair thin DoF, it was. The curvature of the coin means there was about 8mm from the front edge to the furthest part as seen here. Maybe 12 was a little too many, but not far off.

This equipment was by no means "state of the art" and ultimately was an exercise in magnification with the cheapest possible set up. I am certain I could get sharper, both with more time and some better equipment.

I had 3 sets of cheap aluminium tubes, a macro bellows, all supporting a heavy metal Russian 135mm. Slight movements anywhere would cause movement, I think.

Anyway, I have a !:1 macro lens coming at the end of the month...should get better magnification with less length...I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

Most reactions

Back