64-Bit Windows - Photoshop, Dreamweaver, MS Word

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
All I care to do on my laptop is MS Office, Photoshop, Lightroom, Indesign, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver. Ah, and internet so I can access TPF of course.

Recently I have found several laptop deals that have 4GB RAM, a 64-bit OS, and large hard disks. This all sounds very lucrative. Does anyone know how Photoshop runs in a 64-bit environment?

I beta test some 3D apps still and need to maintain 32 and 64 bit versions of vista as well as the now 64 bit cocoa Mac and PhotoShop loves a 64bit environment (vista). Manipulating large data very often requires only 60% or near that, of the time V32 requires for the same operation.

That said many people (who actually do something besides beta testing and images editing) have lots and LOTS of problems with vista in general and vista 64 in specific. So if you actually use the OS you may want to consider other possibilities - others claim to have no problems.. <shrug>

Last edited:
All I care to do on my laptop is MS Office, Photoshop, Lightroom, Indesign, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver. Ah, and internet so I can access TPF of course.

Recently I have found several laptop deals that have 4GB RAM, a 64-bit OS, and large hard disks. This all sounds very lucrative. Does anyone know how Photoshop runs in a 64-bit environment?
If you can, get windows xp x64. It has considerably lower system requirements than vista, that way you have more resources allocated to your editing.

Photoshop just absolutely LOVES a 64 bit environment from my exp.

And if it doesn't now, just wait till Adobe CS4. Photoshop for one is going fully 64bit on the windows platform :)

Ah, well...I only have a 32-bit Vista Premium OS at the time, on a Core2 Duo w/ 2GB and it works excellent for what I do. I buy a new PC every year, so I never have to spend $ on an extended warranty, and never have an out-of-warranty PC. I look hard and wait awhile for a deal, so that ideally, I sell the computer a year later for $100 less. Past couple years it's worked very well...this year, I should be able to sell mine for about what I paid :). Crazy, huh?

Anyway, my one-year warranty is running out soon, so I am beginning to look into a new computer...wondering if Vista 64-bit is a feasible option. If not, I'll probably stick with Vista Premium 32.

I think it's feasible. It's a little fat like ET is saying. And some peoply say there's a bunch of things that don't work right - but just don't use those things i guess. I dunno what they are exactly - I have no problems. But then again I installed like 8 apps on it and that's it - I never mess with the OS.

If there's an XP-64 option go for that. People say it's better (and less fat).

Mac too right?

Nope. You'll need to wait for CS5 to get 64bit Mac support. Apple dropped 64bit support for Carbon which is what Photoshop uses. Lightroom 2 though will have full 64bit support on the mac since it uses the cocoa framework. They recoding job is apparently too huge to have cocoa support for CS4.

OH, PS = Carbon... :(

Bummer. OK, well waiting won't kill me. That, waiting for Houdini to come to the Mac and not having Digital Fusion 5 available have been really the only downsides to Mac life. Everything else has been a vast improvement so I guess it's a fair trade off. :D

AHHH Skiboarder thanks for reminding me. I was gonna go pick up a Q6600 last week. Better call up and see if they are still available!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back