70-200 2.8 VRII

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am really considering buying this lens. I found a guy who has one in mint condition and selling it for $1950. He said he would let it go for $1900 with a hoya filter.
This seems about the normal price for a used lens.

Question for those of you who own one. I am posting a shots that I test fired before I hand him over the cash.

200mm, ISO 100 F/8 -1.3ev. Only thing I did was in photoshop bumped up the exposure as it was dark.(Cropped)
manonbike.jpg

200mm iso 100 1/1000s f2.8 (Cropped)
manonbike2.jpg

200mm iso 100 1/500s f2.8 (Cropped)
manatbusbstop.jpg

Do these look accurate as far as sharpness goes? I have read that the 70-200 VRII is a tad soft at 200 @2.8

Is this a good price for a mint condition lens of this caliber?

Reason I want to purchase this lens is because 1) I want to be able to take better pictures of my kids playing sports 2) From what I have heard I could use this in place of my primes ( this I am not sure, it is heavy and I think Primes are awesome) 3) I hope to eventually upgrade to FX at some point and would be a great lens to grow with me.

What say you.

At internet sized images nearly all lenses look good. Really.

If you are happy with the price and nothing seems wrong with the lens then by all means don't let anyone here stop you.

If you have the money do it. Its a great lens. There is one forsale here locally for $1900 also

$1900 is a fair price for a good quality used one, I have only recently got mine, so I haven't been able to put it to the test yet, but so far I've been impressed by it.

it's almost impossible to tell if those images show the lens being appropriately sharp since SO much goes into making an image sharp, and only a tiny portion of that is the lens itself. none of those images appear to me like they have any lens issues, but again, there's not much we'd be able to tell....it mainly comes down to you, do you feel it is a good copy of the lens? remember that pretty much EVERY lens is softer wide open than slightly stopped down, however the 70-200 VR2 is an excellent lens all around, and unless I'm mistaken, the VR2 version is supposed to perform a little better wide open than it's predecessors.

Well I ended up buying this lens. I paid $1800 and he through in a nikon wireless remote for my D7000 and a UV filter for the lens.

I think I got a great deal. This thing is mint condition and if I do not use as much as I hope I can always sell it and get my money back.

Win win situation I think.

Thanks for all input.

Welcome your new home

70200.jpg

Wow great! Color me envious!

CONGRATS!

Believe me - it will probably become your favorite lens.

I've been waiting for one to pop up on my local Craigslist. So far only VR1's for the past few weeks.

I'm sure you'll love it. Enjoy!

You will be thoroughly in love with that lens. I have a friend of mine who shoots sports and swears by his. The only reason it ever comes off is if he's at a basketball game and 70mm is too close, in which case he switches to the 50 f/1.8.

Hey guys,

I love shooting planes in airshows, own a Sigma 120-400mm for a couple of years but don't like it that much, it took great pics but lack sharpness so I decided to purchase the awesome NIKKOR 70-200 mm f/2.8G ED VR II, I intend to add a Nikon TC 20 E III for the extra reach, I'm wondering if the IQ at 400mm with the Nikon zoom is as good or better than the IQ of the Sigma at the same range.
BTW I intend to mount the new lens on a D-700.

Thank you for your inputs.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've heard a lot of positive reviews about the TC2e3, I dont have one myself, but before purchasing it, see if you can find one to rent, lensrentals.com, borrowlenses.com are options.

There's a local guy who's a well known photographer. He teaches classes and represents Nikon. He also sells Nikon products(retailer). I asked him about teleconverters. He said the main issue with it is that the lens will tend to dip or shake at the far end. Users end up having to make a rig to stabilize the lens and it's really inconvenient. Well, this is the first I've heard so I don't know if this is true. So my point is, if you are going to hand hold the lens while shooting, you may want to do a bit more research.

Hey guys,

I love shooting planes in airshows, own a Sigma 120-400mm for a couple of years but don't like it that much, it took great pics but lack sharpness so I decided to purchase the awesome NIKKOR 70-200 mm f/2.8G ED VR II, I intend to add a Nikon TC 20 E III for the extra reach, I'm wondering if the IQ at 400mm with the Nikon zoom is as good or better than the IQ of the Sigma at the same range.
BTW I intend to mount the new lens on a D-700.

Thank you for your inputs.

I shoot a D800... have the 70-200.. and the TC-20E III

this is a 100% crop from shot at 400mm (lens + TC) @ F8 1/800 ISO400 shot handheld. I just did basic sharpening on it.. that is all... just an example of what the lens and TC can do. Not a great shot, but good for this purpose....
$_DSC1871-100prctCrp.jpg

taken from this original:
$_DSC1871800x.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks guys for the replies, I will post the result of my tests once i receive the lens & teleconverter.

Most reactions

Back