When I went to check out my Fuji S7000 in 2003 it was just a joke the way the men in the shop treated me. Admittedly it was a glorified point and shoot because the DSLR's at the time were just out of my range financially, but I'd done my homework and decided I wanted to look at that one.
I swear they tried to sell me every camera BUT that one I came in to see at twice the prices that I kept seeing online and none of them had what I walked in there to get in terms of capacity! Just getting them to understand that I really wanted a bigger camera, one more like an SLR with manual settings and some kind of optional lenses, and that I didn't want just a pocket point and shoot was near impossible.
Both of the guys in the store were apparently so bemused at the very idea that I might actually have some idea of what aperture, ISO and film speed were despite the fact that I was a woman that they apparently couldn't contain themselves from acting like complete sexist idiots. One guy was just trying to sell me anything "easy" and probably overstocked and the other was so busy telling me how "sexy" I looked with a good camera in my hand that it was just insulting dealing with them. Needless to say I didn't buy a thing from them. To my dismay I also found their very unprofessional attitude was very normal for that area.
It took me over a year to find a decent camera store, with a knowledgeable staff that didn't treat me like that walking in the door. Now, I'm living somewhere else, and the ONLY camera store in town, one that literally advertises that they can "fix anything ever made" doesn't even know there is such a thing as a Pentax Spotmatic sans hot shoe apparently.
I'm sitting there in an email telling this guy that I want to buy a clip on cold shoe and cable from them if they carry them so I can actually use a flash with my SP1 and he's suggesting that I check the camera again more closely because obviously I am missing the fact that there is a hot shoe right there on top already.
Ritz Camera in the mall may be pretty much useless, but I can't say the local home grown small camera shop is any better or that they deserve my business. A repair guy who can't even be bothered to do a Google search on the Spotmatic and see that the earlier SP1's didn't have a ####@@@!!! hot shoe can't be worth a whole heck of a lot when he's actually got his hands on a camera!
I definitely wouldn't trust these people with my Spottie and I can just imagine what horrors they might do to an expensive DSLR if you brought it in to be cleaned or serviced.

uke: