Sounds like it was a 4/3 camera. These are quite popular since they are small and easily portable. But the SLR isn't dead and cropped sensors aren't the future. I would dare say that this is the best time in HISTORY for the full size SLR. Equipment is cheap (relative) and developing is free and instantaneous. Perfect for a novice or anyone to get their hands dirty.
I think this is a classic case of sexism. I love the comment "you must read a lot of reviews and forums." What was his tone with this comment? My local local camera stores in my town, of which there are 3, are all quite small with limited equipment. There's one a couple towns away that is unbelievible and PACKED floor to ceiling with new and used grear. The people in the small local ones are morons and rude. The bigger one they are great, and all shutterbugs and know their gear. Infact a young woman maybe 22 did come in while I was there and I was worried they'd be rude to her but they weren't they seemed to know her. I'm rambling again. But maybe if you start frequenting this place they might change their tune and get a little more comfortable with you. They do sound like morons though.