70-200mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Tennessee Landscape, Feb 14, 2008.

1. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are all kind of portraiture. Very likely becuase I like to take portraits of weddings in nature the most (or the fact that my at home play studio is in a room in the basement and is about 10 X 10 in size), just the face would not be good enough. Standing back 10 feet to squeeze a face into a picture is still limiting. I always see portraits in my head as being 2 or more poeple and 1/2 or more of their bodies in the shot. Try to do that in a small reception hall with the B&G... its a challenge, I will say that. As I said, there are times to use it... and times that there are better options. Thats not a slight towards the lens, trust me.

Of course you could take a portrait of a single face from the neck up (at 10 feet away)... thats a portrait too, just not my idea of what I would want out of a portrait. :)

As to my shot, it was taken at 70mm and you are only seeing about 1/3rd of the case in the pic. If you have the lens, you have the cover... and you know how long those suckers are. :D

2. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    2 very well known sharp lenses. I can see both as being excellent, with the 50 being the better choice in tighter quarters.

3. farski

farski TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK I suppose that makes sense, but in the context of someone asking what a lens is used for, I guess to me it seems a bit deceptive to say it has "limited use indoors under 50 feet," when really what you're saying is it can't do what it's not design for, which is true for all lenses. The fact that a 70mm can't take the same photos as a 28 isn't really a limitation...

If someone were to ask "what's a 50mm for," a response of "well it's limited in it's use outside _over_ distances of 10 feet" would be ridiculous.

4. nikonkev

nikonkev TPF Noob!

It's not that big, really. Photo courtesy of google and whomever took it:

Nikon Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR mounted on a D200

[​IMG]

5. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, if he context is not defined I agree, but we defined the context as being portraiture. Try taking a bust shot (never mind the full body for the moment, nor of anything more than 1 person) of anyone with the 70-200 at 70mm and measure how far back you have to be before you get their head/chest into the pictures. That is what I was saying. In my basement, I have to go into the next room to get the shot using the 70-200... lol

You cannot treat the 70-200 on a cropped sensor camera as being a general use lens (unless your definition of a geneal useage is outdoors all the time). Inside a house, taking pictures is near impossible for me, I cannot get much of anything into the frame. At a hockey rink, standing mid rink and shooting at the far goal, I can capture pockets of action, but I sure cannot capture 1/2 the ice rink in one click, even when standing as far high as I can at my local rink.

Don't get me wrong, I *love* my 70-200, I just cannot use it as often on my D200 as I can my shorter lenses. Hence, why I said limiting.

6. JerryPH

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That white looks aweful. Looks like someone with Canon "L" glass envy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW, you can buy them like that, but they are rare and more expensive. I also saw someone once paint their 70-200 a camo scheme. Blasphamy! :lol:

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    Iron is the type of shooter that doesn't like to attract attention which is exactly why it doesn't fit him (on top of the fact that its heavy and bulky). This is the exact reason why rangefinders (leica and epson) in his sig are a better fit.

I'm in the exact same boat and I have made the same decisions as Iron. I sold my 70-200 f2.8 to another forum member because I was miserable with such large, bulky equipment that just didn't fit me properly. It "taints" the environment (for lack of a better term) when someone sees me pull out a 1d MII with a 70-200 attached.

Smaller cameras and lenses go with me everywhere.....

8. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    That white Nikon lens isn't complete with the red ring... hehehe lol

If I was a nikon shooter, I definitely would be very shy about taking that out of my bag.

9. schuylercat

schuylercat TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When I shot for a living, I seldom had my 70-200 off my camera. I'd rent really, really long glass for some racetracks, but usually I could be trackside, and not worry a lot about what happened a quarter mile away.

I had a Canon f/2.8L until I needed money, then I bought a Sigma 70-210 f/2.8 lens that was shockingly good - SLOW autofocus, but anyone using autofocus at an Indycar race got a lot of nothing anyway.

My old Sigma lens is still sith me, although it isn't compatible with my new camera. Sigh. When I go looking for a long lens someday, I'll reconsider Sigma.

10. AlexParlett

AlexParlett TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Only ever take it off if i am doing fisheye or wideangle work, so anything but landscapes or some random conceptual ideas use it for pretty much everything, though it can be a bit awkward when working in areas with a lot of predestrians, had tendencies for people to walk almost into it.

11. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I shoot with my 80-400 VR all the time. I dont mind the weight much, I got to work the fat off somewhere.
    Tenn your 70-300 should be fine for some wildlife stuff as long as you are close enough. I like to set up temp blinds for some places I go. Then the aniamls move in closer and, dont know Im there.

12. Tennessee Landscape

Tennessee Landscape TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yeah, I'm not really worried about bringing them in close....I bow hunt, so I know how to get animals in close. especially if I don't have hunting rules and regs to contend with...like baiting ..... plus I have an excellent ghilie suit.