70-200mm f2.8 options for a Canon 70D

bbbflash

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
pohlerphotography.wix.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, need some advice. I shoot a lot of my dog agility with my 70D and I have quickly noticed that my 18-135 3.5-5.6 just isn't getting enough reach that I am after and I need a larger aperture. I shoot quick bursts of 4 pictures at varying distanced with dogs running towards me, away from me, and parallel to me.

I am starting my research to upgrade my lenses. It appears that tamron, sigma and canon II all have great lenses, but the tamron and canon seam to edge out the sigma in most aspects. My biggest concern is if the canon is really $1000 better than the tamron. I am starting out and $1000 would certainly go a long way toward other gear. If anyone can share their experiences with me that would be great. I am leaning toward the canon because of build quality and the speed of the auto focus. I also likes that it's canon. I would be able to buy a new tamron or possibly a second hand canon. Happy to read everyone's experiences, advice and recommendations.

Cheers,

Bobby

What I do - photo

I just shot a baptism with a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L. Focus is very fast, even in a church. I was shooting wide open for most shots. I did that because it let me separate people. Shooting from the end of a pew, a couple of pews in front, at the side of the church, I could get one person in sharp focus when they were sitting near the centre aisle, on my side of the aisle. A very shallow DOF, which is exactly what I wanted.
The further away they are, the more DOF you get, but wide open, you may not have enough DOF to get the whole dog sharp if it is at your end of the coarse. It may be worth renting a lens or two for a weekend.

There are quite a few 70-200mm f2.8 lenses on the market - which ones specifically are you looking at potentially getting?

Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM Lenses

I would prefer to get the new 70-200 version 2. I hate the idea of buying second hand and it turning out to be faulty.

What I do - photo

Honest answer - get the Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II

The original of that lens was a great performer with years of professional work behind it - the new MII improves upon it in nearly all aspects. Whilst not night and day different ( the old was and still is a strong performer) it is an improvement and if you're shooting dogs chances are you'll wind up at the long end and in dimmer indoor conditions - where its improved performance shines.

It's AF is also very quick, I shot some equine the other day and with horses coming direct toward me it was able to keep up well (camera also affects AF performance of course, but the lens also plays a part in the speed of the motors).

If you got the money the 70-200 2.8L II is one of the best lenses on the market and should last you 10 years.

I own the Canon 70-200 f2.8L lens you are thinking about--and it is FANTASTIC! However, there are real quality alternatives out there. My son has recently started-up his photography business and has done exhaustive research on lenses, focusing on the cost/benefit ratio, as well as their technical strengths and weaknesses--he LOVES doing research!

What did he buy--despite Dad's strong recommendation?

The TAMRON 70-200 f2.8 which has some superior optical advantages over even the Canon lens and it costs $1000.00 LESS than the Canon.

I could not argue with those facts--sigh….

Jerry are you on the MII or the MI of the 70-200mm f2.8 IS? If it is the MI then yes the newer Sigma and Tamron offerings should be somewhat superior to it - however from the newer options I think the Canon MII retains the edge in most side by side tests.

I just went to DxO Mark and compared the Canon 70-200 L IS USM, the Mark II version, against the Tamron 70-200 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM on Canon EOS 70D versus Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Canon on Canon EOS 70D - Side by side lens comparison - DxOMark

On the EOS 70D, the Canon Mark II yielded 18 perceptual MP worth of resolution, the Tamron 16, with almost identical T-stop values of 3.4 for the Canon, 3.3 for the Tamron; both lenses with 0.1% distortion; the Canon with 3µm chromatic aberration, the Tamron with 8µm chromatic aberration.

Tamron has made an amazing lens for the price; I am not 100% positive, but my feeling is that 10 years ago, the Tamron would have been the best 70-200/2.8 or 80-200/2.8 ever made, by any maker, in any decade.

Tested on the EOS 1DS Mark III, the Canon Mark II score was 24 perceptual MP worth of resolving ability, and the Tamron resolved 22. Both of these are fine zoom lenses!

In actual use, I think it's going to be hard to literally "SEE" that the Canon is worth the extra $1,000 until Canon gets into higher-resolution bodies in the 36 to 55-60 megapixel range...I really think the Tamron is a far better value than the Canon Mark II, as one, single lens. But if you want to use a teleconverter with the lens, the Mark II Canon is perfectly designed to be one of the very best lens + converter options ever offered, which is worth the extra money.

Most reactions

Back