DeadEye

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deadeyestudio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Both shot from same place, no cropping, just changed the lens and shot at 70mm far end of the zoom. Lens 1 24-70L : Lens 2 70-200L

953D5598.jpg

953D5601.jpg

I think the field of view is not too far off. But the perspective distortion are different between the 2 lenses in 70mm focal length.

Also, as I learned from lens review sites, when comparing different lenses, they found the field of view of the lenses are different. A 17mm in Lens A is different from 17mm in lens B. So lens are created different.

I've done the same experiment wit my 24-70 and 70-200 and because I had the camera on a tripod, the results were for all intents impossible to tell apart without looking at the EXIF.

Have any filters on the lenses? Did the lighting conditions change? Any fog in the area? If no in both cases, I think you just discovered which lens works better for you at this focal length. I am surprised at the amount of difference in contrast and saturation, though.

I've done the same experiment wit my 24-70 and 70-200 and because I had the camera on a tripod, the results were for all intents impossible to tell apart without looking at the EXIF.

Have any filters on the lenses? Did the lighting conditions change? Any fog in the area? If no in both cases, I think you just discovered which lens works better for you at this focal length. I am surprised at the amount of difference in contrast and saturation, though.

Well the fog was on the move, a bank rolling through. We did swing some on the anchor chain.

The perspective changed a little, the lens change was relatively quick... 30-45 seconds between shots?

How about the filters question? Fog is a possible partial reason, but I doubt the only one.

I had to go inside to lens change maybe 2 minutes. No filters used.

I'd put the brunt of the differences on the fog... It would be interesting to see the same test again with camera on a tripod and no more than 10 seconds difference between shots. I bet they would be a lot closer.

It may have be the lens itself foged when going from the cold AC cabin to outside hot and humid as well.
The IQ was due to fog. The field of view differance is what got my attention. I shall retry on tripod at later date.

Thanks All. Dan

When I superimpose 2 images together, the buildings in the background did not change too much between the 2 photos when compare with the ship.

In other words, if the pictures has no ship, it looks very similar in terms of field of view.

I know the perspective distortion is related to focal length, but it seems like there are some other factors. Angle of view? really not sure.

user error is the main, if not only factor. this is why most lense reviews are useless IMO. even as much as people claim to have a controlled environment, there is always room for human error.
say you didn't have to switch lenses, but rather had 2 separate bodies on 2 separate tripods. you still have to move the second tripod to the position of the first one, leaving lots of room for error. and thats without taking into consideration light and other natural factors you have absolutely no control over (like the "fog" for example).
this isnt only true in this case, but EVERY lense (comparison) review.

IMPO the ONLY way to make a decision, is to try both for yourself and make a decision for yourself based on your personal experience.

user error is the main, if not only factor.

Though that may have some ring of truth, it is FAR from the only factor. If it was, let me go by that $56 lens and go shoot beside the guy with the $2500 lens under challenging conditions and expect identical results.

In this case, it was more likely environmental conditions. There was fog in front of the ship on one of the shots that made for the majority of the discrepancies. Now, if you want to blame the user for the fog, go right ahead... but that is a little beyond his control. :)

I will try to find the site if I can again. It dealt with this issue and had the exact fov and focal length of a wide selection of lenses. Seems that the manufactures list zooms and even some primes to the closest standard focal length.

Most are not dead exact on. The one that surprised me was the Canon 50mm f1.2L. It was just a hair shy of being 50mm.

Most reactions

Back