72" Umbrella

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking at adding either a white with removable black back or a silver both with diffusion cover. I like the edginess that you get with the silver, but the white would get more use.

Anyone using either? The good - the bad?

Not my field of knowledge but I have just got a cheap 5 in 1 reflector set. White, black, silver and gold. Hope to use some of them next week to photograph my new granddaughter.

Not my field of knowledge but I have just got a cheap 5 in 1 reflector set. White, black, silver and gold. Hope to use some of them next week to photograph my new granddaughter.

The silver moves a lot of light and can be a problem with specular highlights. It will minimize redness in skin and make the transition between tones sharper. Baby skin is so soft and smooth that I've always found white to be the best, the bigger the better. I had a "golden" period with the gold reflector, when Lil'Bit was just a baby. Let's just say it's easy to overdo. LOL

The silver moves a lot of light and can be a problem with specular highlights. It will minimize redness in skin and make the transition between tones sharper. Baby skin is so soft and smooth that I've always found white to be the best, the bigger the better. I had a "golden" period with the gold reflector, when Lil'Bit was just a baby. Let's just say it's easy to overdo. LOL

Thanks for the tips. I'm pretty clueless regarding portrait photography and lighting so am grateful for any advice.

I'm going to use natural light backed up by a small led studio light reflected off the reflectors. I think they are in the region of 3-4 feet in diameter. Very much experimental for me.

I'm going to use natural light backed up by a small led studio light reflected off the reflectors. I think they are in the region of 3-4 feet in diameter. Very much experimental for me.

Not to intimidate or confuse, but be aware that "mixed" ambient light and studio light can create issues. Unless you gel your light Balancing Color for Flash and Ambient Light using Gels you frequently end up with unmatched color in residential settings. Sometimes it's better to use a window with a sheer curtain as the light source. The baby doesn't have to be in the light, anything that reflects the light will move it on your subject (reflector or even a white wall). Also be aware that light reflecting off colored objects (brightly painted nursery walls) can and will impart their color on your subject

Not to intimidate or confuse, but be aware that "mixed" ambient light and studio light can create issues. Unless you gel your light Balancing Color for Flash and Ambient Light using Gels you frequently end up with unmatched color in residential settings. Sometimes it's better to use a window with a sheer curtain as the light source. The baby doesn't have to be in the light, anything that reflects the light will move it on your subject (reflector or even a white wall). Also be aware that light reflecting off colored objects (brightly painted nursery walls) can and will impart their color on your subject

Thanks again. I won't be using gels but I take your point about colour issues with the studio light. I never considered that but will now. I may just use the reflectors for the ambient light. As I said it'll be pretty much experimental for me.

My aim is not to produce photos for professional use or reasons but to do the best I can to leave the best possible photos I can of my granddaughters stages of growth and development for my daughter. Hence I've forked out for the Sigma 105mm Art. I have a variety of other lenses too as I realise the Sigma will have it's limitations, particularly in more confined spaces.

@Space Face The single most important bit of advice I can give you...........are you ready? HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE MOMENT. Don't get so caught up in the photography that you dont enjoy the time with her, because there will never ever be that exact moment again. Make it worthwhile and any old snapshot will remind you of the memory.

@Space Face The single most important bit of advice I can give you...........are you ready? HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE MOMENT. Don't get so caught up in the photography that you dont enjoy the time with her, because there will never ever be that exact moment again. Make it worthwhile and any old snapshot will remind you of the memory.

Oh, your so right. That said every moment I spend with her just melts my heart. There's dozens if not hundreds of fone shots already taken by the family and of course the pro shoot they were gifted.

I'm quite excited by the challenge and I know my daughter, my wife and other folk will like my pics but I just want to push myself a bit to leave the best memories I can, for after I'm gone (hopefully I'll last a good while yet:))

Looking at adding either a white with removable black back or a silver both with diffusion cover. I like the edginess that you get with the silver, but the white would get more use.

Anyone using either? The good - the bad?
With a large modifier, you get very little shadowing, nearly non-existent. If you want modeling, use a smaller light or even a bare bulb to get a bit of shadow. The large umbrella can give overall even light for "fill", and adding the smaller hotter light can act as the key light.

Definitely get the black back cover to cut light spill into the room.

Also, you might need to counter-balance the weight of the large umbrella or use a second light stand on which to clamp the umbrella to keep it from falling down.

With a large modifier, you get very little shadowing, nearly non-existent. If you want modeling, use a smaller light or even a bare bulb to get a bit of shadow. The large umbrella can give overall even light for "fill", and adding the smaller hotter light can act as the key light.

Definitely get the black back cover to cut light spill into the room.

I'd have to disagree with you on this "With a large modifier, you get very little shadowing, nearly non-existent" the deepest shadow is still there, what you get is a more gradual transition zone from highlight to shadow, the same can be said about the highlights as the larger light source spreads out specular highlights. That nice even light is the reason it's been around in fashion photography for several years. You'll see many only using a one light setup with a honking big umbrella.

I went ahead and ordered a 72" non removable black back because the removable one was out of stock. They aren't that expensive that I can't order a translucent one later. The translucent provides some seriously soft light for portraits so it will be coming soon.

As to weight, in studio there isn't a real issue even with the diffusion cloth they're less than 5 lbs, and my current stands are more than capable. Outside is another matter, as it's a giant sail waiting to take off with the slightest breeze.

If I understand you correctly you wanted to decide on either a silver lined umbrella or a white translucent with a black backing that can be removed?

FWIW, I tend not to use silver as specularity can be an issue with skin unless good makeup application is employed. But essentially if one uses the same size umbrella, at the same distance and bouncing it off the interior set at the same focus point on the umbrella shaft, both provide the same degree of softness. Softness of the light is determined by the size and distance of the modifier specularity is determined by the surface the light bounces off. If you plan on shooting people against a background the silver will likely produce stepped shadows and I personally never shoot through an umbrella, I use other modifiers which control spill much more effectively. Also, silver umbrellas may exhibit more of a hot spot if the strobe head isn't at the optimum position on the rod, which can produce harder shadows.

Diffusion in both cases will affect the softness but the sliver may just be a tad more specular.

If I understand you correctly you wanted to decide on either a silver lined umbrella or a white translucent with a black backing that can be removed?

Yes that's correct. However its somewhat s mute point as the white with nonremovable black back was the only one in stock.

specularity is determined by the surface the light bounces off.

I have several modifiers now, beauty dishes, softboxes, umbrellas, etc. In both white and silver, and I agree that the silver can create specular highlights. However as the size of the modifier increases so does the area of the highlight. Using a diffusion cover also helps.

silver will likely produce stepped shadows

Yes that's been my experience. IMO it also produces a crisper color, and minimizes skin redness.

Yes that's been my experience. IMO it also produces a crisper color, and minimizes skin redness.

That has to do with the inherent colour temp shift of the white vs the silver and possibly the UV from your strobes. There is no physical reason why a white surfaced modifier would add red or conversely a silver modifier would add blue if they we’re properly calibrated flash tubes and modifiers. Not all modifiers are created equal and some less than models have colour issues.

That has to do with the inherent colour temp shift of the white vs the silver and possibly the UV from your strobes. There is no physical reason why a white surfaced modifier would add red or conversely a silver modifier would add blue if they we’re properly calibrated flash tubes and modifiers. Not all modifiers are created equal and some less than models have colour issues.

No I agree there's nothing added, I see it more as a difference in red reflectivity.

Have you used a 72" umbrella? Despite the fact that there are several pros who use them, I'm not finding much on the internet regarding their use. I did find this, which interestingly is a silver Simple One Light Beauty Setup With A Parabolic Umbrella | Anita Sadowska

Yes I own two 72” white umbrellas with black backing and I have outer diffusion for them. Not often used but they do offer a different look. As far as examples, look no further than Annie Leibovitz who used large umbrellas with diffusion for a number of years. BTW, they were white interior umbrellas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back