$730 D200 and $1,785 D2Xs...what?

midget patrol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now that I have your attention, those are real prices from www.bananaboatcamera.com which I stumbled upon via froogle.

How can I (anyone) possibly pass up prices like that? That's a D200 at half price, and a D2Xs at around a third.

Before I make a three or four digit mistake, however, I'd like to know if anybody has delt with this store before.

So, has anybody dealt with Banana Boat Camera?

I am someone who has purchased lenses from HK at 30% savings in some cases so I am not averse to risk. BUT, even I would walk from that one...in fact, on second thought I would *run*......forgeddaboutit

Thanks guys. That's sortof what I was expecting.

Nobody gives stuff away for free. There's no way they'd let that deal go through, not without selling you 1200 in overpriced extras or somthing along those lines.

I saw a deal like that on a camera case I was interested in on e-bay. After reading the fine print I found that it was not US dollars they were advertising.

Run away probably non USA warranty grey market items!!!!

Someone mentioned BB Camera above. The price was great so I decided to try...even in the warranty grey area. Its still to early to tell if my product will come as stated. But, they have very bad customer service. My husband had to confirm the order via phone and the salesman talked him into buying expensive lithium batteries that the camera can't use. I even checked the user manual online. It clearly states not to use the lithium batteries, only NiMh. When I called to talk to them about it, it was already sent. When I called back again, and eluded to the poor knowledge of the salesman, the other salesman yelled, "Well, we don't care about your money. We drive BMWs." I almost dropped the phone laughing. I imagine they go from one sleazy business to another. I wouldn't be surprised if their website is gone in a few months. As for the camera. If it doesn't arrive in a couple days, our credit card will take care of it. If it does arrive, it was quite a deal.

Yes. I think you misinterpreted my message. I did not purchase from BB after reading this thread. I came to this thread after purchasing from BB. Actually, to be honest, it was my husband who did the purchasing, trying to buy me a gift. But I took over the dealings with them once I suspected they were a scam, since my husband doesn't know anything about digital SLRs, and has never been scammed before, and therefor believed the salesman. We were at no risk, of course, thanks to our credit card, so no loss.

Sorry, I understand. If it's too good to be true, it's a scam, and unfortunatly, you learned the hard way. Digital technology doesn't come cheap. There's almost no point digging around for the best price, in order to save $100. You'll have a much better experience buying from one of the trusted companies, like Adorama, or B&H.

Most reactions

Back