7D or 5DII /5D III

I have the 7D and just sold my 5d2-I really had issues with the 5d2. It's auto focus system is weak. Otherwise it's an amazing portrait and wedding camera. The 5d3 is looking like it fixed all of my issues with my 5d2 and then some.
I had to be talked into the 7D... I dragged my feet and didn't want to upgrade my 50D to it for a long time. I went kicking and screaming and the only reason I bought it was I got it for $1000. I LOVE IT. It is a great EVERYTHING camera. I have opted to use it often over my 1d3 because of the crop factor giving me more reach with my lenses.
I will purchase a 5d3 but not until the initial phase is over and/or the price drops.
If I had to choose the 5d2 or the 7D? It'd be the 7d. The focus system is outstanding in it when compared to the 5d2. The IQ is damn good when compared. There is some noise at ISO 12800 on the 7D but I USE it daily and sell it. I just did not have any benefits from having the 5d2 and the 7D. The 5d2 sat. Now if I had to choose between the 7d and the 5d3? I am leaning towards the 5d3.

MLeek - have you tried a 1DMIV? Against the 5DMIII that would seem to be its natural counter - granted its only 1.3 crop not 1.6 like the 7D but its other features that should even the odds a little against the 5DMIII (plus its price is nearly the same).

MLeek - have you tried a 1DMIV? Against the 5DMIII that would seem to be its natural counter - granted its only 1.3 crop not 1.6 like the 7D but its other features that should even the odds a little against the 5DMIII (plus its price is nearly the same).

I've played with one, but it was NOT in the budget. The guy I bought my 1d3 has one-that's how I got my 1d3. He HAD TO HAVE IT-the moment it came out. More money than brains.
I told him I'd let him buy my 1dX for me... or buy his 1d4 if he's going to sell it at as much of a hit as he took on the 1d3. Otherwise? I'm not shooting BIG TIME sports, just high school and the occassional college/or minor league. I am not even in the running to go big time and I don't think I want to (watch me eat those words in a year or two) so I am going with the 5d3 and my 7D. I can justify the 5d3 for weddings and portraits and the 7D for my backup and that extra bit of reach. With the new FPS on the 5d3 and the new focus? I think I am going to be pretty happy with it. Or at least it looks good on paper.

I am actually kind of scaling back on things somewhat. I have major health issues that, while they are not life threatening-are making me slow down a bit... That and I don't WANT to be busy 24/7! Sports are a LOT more work than portrait and wedding work when compared to the amount of money I make off it. So... it'll be a good thing!

Most reactions

Back