8 Shots from Smoky Mountains - C&C Please

Fleetwood271

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Went to Smokies Sat and took almost 500 shots. Here are a few for C&C please.

1 - Old Church
Church.jpg

2 - Shot from upstairs in Mingus Mill. Looked out window and saw this couple standing in the pathway. Framed it through the old wooden window.
Window2.jpg

3 - Same as #2, except pulled zoom back and the couple had walked almost out of site.
DSC_9632.jpg

4 - From Clingman's Dome. The cities in the distance are Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.
DomeView2.jpg

5 - Tree beside road just as we entered Cherokee, SC.
TreeRed.jpg

6 - One of many shots from stream running beside road from Gatlinburg to Cherokee.
Water6.jpg

7 - Another water shot
Water1.jpg

8 - View from one of the many pull-off areas beside the road
View1.jpg

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks!

I like 6 and 7 - what were your settings for those two?

Pic #6 was:
Shutter Priority Mode
Shutter Speed 1/3sec
f18
ISO 200
66mm
White Balance was Shade or Cloudy

Pic #7 was:
Shutter Priority Mode
Shutter Speed .77sec
f25
ISO 200
105mm
White Balance was Shade or Cloudy

Like the first and the last. #6 loks interesting as well. Did you use any ND filter or just stop down a lot? I'm leaving for NC friday, I hope the color is still good when I get there!

answered my question as I was asking it.... :thumbup:

Like the first and the last. #6 loks interesting as well. Did you use any ND filter or just stop down a lot? I'm leaving for NC friday, I hope the color is still good when I get there!

Didn't use any filters. Had a circular polarizer ordered and was hoping to take it with me. It came in the day I was leaving, but when I opened it, I realized that I made a mistake when I placed the order and got the wrong size.:grumpy:

fleetwood,
i likes the church (too bad those two trees are in front of the bell tower) and the brooks and the red tree (don't know what brand it since trees are kind of scarce in these parts). wish i new enough to make suggestions about f stops and shutter speed and iso and stuff. but i do have a question. the mountains in the background of #4 and #8 look a little washed out like a faded computer print out. was it hazy, zoomed way in, or what setting adjustments do you think could have made those a little more vibrant?
but, 5, 6, and 7 :thumbup:

I really like 5 and 8. If you straighten the last one it would be awesome!

I thought about straightening #8, but according to the level on my tripod, it was level when the shot was taken. However, I did straighten it. Here it is:
View1Straightened.jpg

But now the trees are not vertical, since I tilted it to the left to make the rail appear to be level.

The reason the rail isn't level in the original is that this is a mountain road and it was beginning to go downhill at this point.

You be the judge.

Thanks for the comment.

fleetwood,
i likes the church (too bad those two trees are in front of the bell tower) and the brooks and the red tree (don't know what brand it since trees are kind of scarce in these parts). wish i new enough to make suggestions about f stops and shutter speed and iso and stuff. but i do have a question. the mountains in the background of #4 and #8 look a little washed out like a faded computer print out. was it hazy, zoomed way in, or what setting adjustments do you think could have made those a little more vibrant?
but, 5, 6, and 7 :thumbup:

Dorzok! Thanks for your comments.
As far as to why #4 and #8 appear hazy or cloudy, remember the Smoky Mountains have that name for a reason.:lol:

#4 is from the top of Clingman's Dome which is the highest point in the Smokies. It is over 6,600 feet above sea level. Pigeon Forge (which can be seen in the distance is many miles from where this shot was taken, so I'm not surprised it appears cloudy. Here's a link to a website about Clingman's Dome that has several pix and they have a hazy, cloudy appearance also.

Clingman's Dome

Same for #8, though not to the same extent.

I'm sure a neutral density filter or a circular polarizer would have helped to some degree, but I didn't have either with me.

As far as to why #4 and #8 appear hazy or cloudy, remember the Smoky Mountains have that name for a reason.:lol:
I'm sure a neutral density filter or a circular polarizer would have helped to some degree, but I didn't have either with me.

Patience pays off. The Smokeys can put on quite a show just after dawn. Nature's own lightbox with diffuse light and super saturated colors.

i need 5 post in order to post pics. this is #4

and this is #5

Glad my thread could be of assistance.:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back