80-200 F2.8 VS. 80-400VR

Devananda

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all
I am still trying to find the best (for me) wildlife set up...
so my new thought is to sale my nikon 80-200 and get the 80-400 VR.
I will lose the fast 2.8 but will gain 200MM of reach .

it seams that most people don't advise a TC on the 80-200...

dose any one have the 80-400 out there likes dislikes?
thoughts -feedback
thanks again
Deva

Well, it's f/5.6 at the long end and the AF is REALLY slow.

Do you do much that requires fast AF and f/2.8?

well I do like the fast speed of the 80-200 & the fast AF and the sharp images it gives me.
the ideal lens would be the 200 -400 VR but that around 5K. not going to get that one until I sell a few prints.
but I am thinking I would like both of these lenses.
just kinda seams like an over kill of the same focal length. & of course make by pack a tad bit heavy.
thoughts ~

I say keep your current lens and add the other. You don't have to lug it around everywhere, but you could find soo many situations where you're happy that you have 2.8 when you need it,m as well as non wildlife photo ops, such as something at night or such. Then if you save up for your dream 200-400, sell the 80-400 and have the 80-200 & 200-400 for a really good setup.

It seems strange to me to want to replace a pro level lens of outstanding optical quality with a consumer level lens. It may be a good idea but it isn't something I would do. Is there that much difference between cropping a 200mm focal length and one taken at 400mm?

I'll bet dollars to donuts that if you used a tri/mono-pod and can keep the camera shake away, you can crop your way to 400 mm using the 80-200mm f2.8 and wind up with a better photo than if you used the 80-400mm.

Sell your house if you must but don't give up great glass!

mike

Is there that much difference between cropping a 200mm focal length and one taken at 400mm?[/quote]

good point I was thinking the same.. but it just seams that if I have a bit more reach I could get some really nice shoots. but that just may be my inexperience talking.

at this point I do think I'll keep my 80-200mm F2.8...
do you guys/gals think it would be a wast of $$ to save up and get the 80-400 or may be the sigma 50-500??? or just stick with cropping the images w/ what I have and use that $$ for something else?
thanks for all the feedback!!
Deva

I have the 80-200 f/2.8D and I would NEVER give it up for the Bigma. The only thing that would take my 80-200 from my cold dead hands is the 70-200VR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back