80-400 F 4.5-5.6 D lens on Nikon D3200 question...

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

For the past few months I have been using a Nikon 80-400 lens on a Nikon D610. The results have been excellent. The question is this: if I mount this lens to a Nikon D3200 camera will the focal length of the lens increase? Not sure I am wording my question correctly. But I have heard that when mounting a full frame zoom lens to a DX camera. The focal length might be increased. Could this happen?

Thank you,

Lonnie

Focal length will be 80-400.

What it will appear to be is the equivalent field of view of a 120-600 on your FX body.

It matters not whether the lens is a full-frame or a DX model. Focal length is focal length.

What it will appear to be is the equivalent field of view of a 120-600 on your FX body.

It matters not whether the lens is a full-frame or a DX model. Focal length is focal length.

You mean it will appear to be an equivalent of 120-600 on the DX body? Not FX?

Yes, you are correct.

Yes, you are correct.

Okay, I want to try this lens on my Nikon D3200. I tried it on the D610 with the camera set in DX mode. But it just seems like bad things happen when the D610 is in the DX setting. It is not 100% of the time. But it seems that more often that pictures might turn out blurry or just sub standard. Maybe it shouldn't be that way. But that has been my luck.

I will try the D3200 tomorrow.

Thanks again,

Lonnie

The "D" lenses do not have built-in focus motors and rely a motor in the camera body to focus the lens. D3xxxx and D5xxxx camera bodies don't have focus motors built in so "D" series lenses can only be used in manual focus mode on these cameras.

_DSC0006.JPG
_DSC0006.JPG

Moon shot, 80-400 VR, hand held, D200. You've got a great lens. Nikon software to PP mainly for image size.
Pretty decent resolution glass/camera combo I think.

I shot the 80-400 for 15 years. It is quite a good performer on six megapixel and a decent on 12 megapixe but by the time we got to 24 megapixel full frame the lens showed some optical weakness..

On the D3200 the lens will have no autofocus but you will have light metering and VR.

Most reactions

Back