800mm first shots! :)

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
shot lost to infinty - just imagine a long lens with a lot of teleconverters, flash and a tripod ;)

Ok its not a real 800mm its a 70-200 + two 2*Teleconverters (canon and sigma). Turns out to get the 1.4s on needs an extension tube due to silly protuding parts!

The results are not as bad as I thought they would be - light is key for this and very bright light out is definatly needed. Couple that with manual mode to get a little more control and a rocksteady support. Focusing is all manual and the depth of field is fine, but not too fine. Its not got the speed to capture movement - not tried in direct sunlight but then it might work - so its a stattic sniper! :)

Test shot - taken from a beanbag support out of a window - resized, edited and sharpened.
3263751879_040be425c2.jpg

f9,1/6,ISO 400
flash on
link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3487/3263751879_a41f01bda5_o.jpg

web serviceable, a little less than sharp fullsized:
100% crop from centre with no sharpening:
3264581936_fc3a8e7be4_o.jpg

with more practice and stronger light (evening overcast grey at the moment here) I recon I can get a little more out of this combo!

Last edited:
I stack my Sigma 1.4X and Sigma 2X convertors ... they only go together one way due to the protruding parts -- but I forget off the top of my head which one has to go in front. I don't use an extension tube. It makes a useable but slow and somewhat (but not badly) degraded 280-840mm out of my Sigma 100-300mm EX f4.

I reckon is the 1.4 that goes first - the 2.8 has a good deep insert space to it - only problem is that the size of that hole is too small for the canon 1.4 -- and my 1.4sigma was not in the shop :(

Any shots from the 840mm?
be interesting to see them

... I'm not home, so can't get into my archive ... I haven't taken many, so maybe I'll go out this weekend and get a few ...

laughing here ... would be funny if you could add that 1.4 to your stack ... an 1120mm would be interesting ... you could take wildlife images with it cuz you wouldn't have to worry about movement ... they wouldn't know you were watching them from a mile away :)

Yah - and I was also thinking of adding an extension tube and then attaching the other 1.4 (canon) 1568mm lens :) though with that I might need the sun to move closer!
Would be good with crocodiles though! They never move - till they strike!

... not many crocs here in Arizona ...

maybe you can get pics of the crew of the space station ...

I've seen a Canon 1.4TC coupled with a 2XTC...I think the 1.4 has to go first.

Either way, the results were better than I would have expected.

I've got a Sigma 2X (or is it Tamron :scratch:) and I'll be trying it out with my new 70-200 shortly.

Just out of curiosity, what was the approximate distance from camera to subject in the test shot?

I am hopless with guessing distances - give my till tomorrow and I will try to measure the distance (or at least get someone with a better sense of distance than me)

If you do the John Cleese steps, as in Monty Python, then you're talkin' about 3 meters per step, otherwise, it's about a meter per stretched step.

BTW, nice looking kit. The only way to improve upon it is to have it all black with a Gold Ring. :lol:

stretched step.

BTW, nice looking kit. The only way to improve upon it is to have it all black with a Gold Ring. :lol:

Yep ... love my Sigma EX stuff

If you do the John Cleese steps, as in Monty Python, then you're talkin' about 3 meters per step, otherwise, it's about a meter per stretched step.

tricky part is I was shooting from 2 floors up - so pacing it out is rather tricky ;)
But at a guess (from a better set of measuring eyes) 85ish feet away.

I have also thought of pointing this contraption up at the sky and shooting the moon at night!

Update:

Peregrine Falcon shots - first is bare with no TC whilst the rest are with both:
3256482248_f7f52f8b74_o.jpg

3255651559_203acfdb0d.jpg

link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3470/3255651559_3f8a70ff46_o.jpg

3255652253_c9716a7ce4.jpg

link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3333/3255652253_aa46d20345_o.jpg

3255652819_13f608954b.jpg

link to larger: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3076/3255652819_11cce40cce_o.jpg

very kind of him to sit still so long - and one of the few cases where only a 500mm or longer would have been fully justified - there was no way I was climbing the cliffface!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back