800mm first shots! :)

Pretty cool!

I shoot artificial 800mm all the time but I go the route of 400mm telephoto and single 2X converter. I'll bring in some 100% crops tomorrow, if I can remember. I've been tempted to to try doubling that again to a conjoured 1600mm but I was uncertain as to how well back to back teleconverters would do.

If those are 100% crops I would say that's very good! Considering the post processing one would typically apply to it for web display or print it almost regains digitally everything it lost optically.

___________________________________Overread Peregrine Falcon___________________________________
IMG_0944.jpg

Original (100% Crop?)

Overread_P_Falcon.jpg

Processed as if for web.

what a dinky,;) small lense

lol did you actually use the flash?? I mean wouldn't the HUUUGE lens cast a shadow in the pics you take with flash :D

I am posting some pictures taken with a Sigma "Bigma" EX 50-500mm f/4-6.3 APO DG AF. These pictures are not very exciting as far as composition, but are just showing the power and clarity of this lens. These pictures have no post processing done to them other than making a smaller version available for the thread post. Above each picture, I have detailed what I was looking at after seeing the picture full size. All pictures are taken from the same spot in my backyard.

This cactus has decided to grow ontop of our shed. I have no idea where the "seeds" came from to start it to grow, I just saw it one day and left it. It is getting huge! It is now about 6" tall when I walk up to it in person. Notice the spider web on the right side of it. This picture was taken about 10 yards away.

EXIF DATA
Lens model: Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX APO AF
F-stop: f/14
Exposure time: 1/60 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-1600
Focal length: 500mm
Max aperture: 5.3
Program Mode: Manual

This picture was taken about 30 yards away. After looking at it full size, I can see the label on the compressor inside the white cover, as well as the slots in the phillips head screws holding the cover on.

EXIF DATA
Lens model: Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX APO AF
F-stop: f/18
Exposure time: 1/160 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-900
Focal length: 500mm
Max aperture: 5.3

This picture is the power feed on my neighbor's roof. It is about 100 yards away and I was trying to focus on the frayed cable next to the pole. Notice the lizard on the pole right near the frayed cable. This shot is using the 2x converter making the lens a 1000mm.

EXIF DATA
Lens model: Sigma 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX APO AF with Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter
F-stop: f/20
Exposure time: 1/80 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-1000
Focal length: 1000mm
Max aperture: 7.3

I'd say that bigma and Overread's setup are pretty close with softer yet better than expected results from Overreads setup. Good testing.

Bi - the shots I showed were 100% crops - though I did add processing to them (well they started as RAWs so had to be) adding sharpness and removing noise and such.
Good results with the Bigma Paul - I often get the feeling that the bigma is a stronger lens than many would think for its price and range

Crap I forgot all about getting mine, Not that they will be of a ton of use being on older glass. it could be somewhat helpful, As a look between converted 800mm prime to converted 800mm zoom. Granted I am working with a single teleconverter wile Overread was using two but.

This weekend pending my pay check I might go down and pick up another teleconverter and a 200mm prime and run some drills.

even on older glass I would think you could get sharper results with a 200mm prime than a zoom - whilst your 400mm to 800 would certainly (as the bigma has well demonstrated) be sharper still - though 1600mm from a 400mm would be interesting to see!

even on older glass I would think you could get sharper results with a 200mm prime than a zoom - whilst your 400mm to 800 would certainly (as the bigma has well demonstrated) be sharper still - though 1600mm from a 400mm would be interesting to see!

Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to that my self, I just cant deside on wether to go Olympus or Canon mount on that though.

Some of the 2X'd 400 are posted here, they are 50% size and compressed for PB and not right but if you are curious.

Last edited:
ahh the choices for one with more than one system

Go Canon - Go Canon - Go Canon ;)

and some new stuff - this was taken with both the canon 1.4 and 2 times teleconverters stacked - so 560mm+crop sensor effective addition - interestingly the camera appears not to have recorded the 1.4 TC
at: f5.6, ISO 400, 1/1250sec
IMG_0340.jpg

100% crop
IMG_0340.jpg

ahh the choices for one with more than one system

Go Canon - Go Canon - Go Canon ;)

Ah but here is the issues I face. The Canon mount 400mm had to be dismantled and the front element defoged. I did this my self, so it's possible that it's not as sharp as she used to be. The Olympus mount 400mm is imaculate, but I just can't justify buying a second teleconverter for the Olympus given that I prefer my Canon bodies....:(

My FD collection seriously out weighs my OM collection for a reason :lmao:

In all honesty I bought the Olympus with the hopes of steeling the glass out of it for the Canon one, but that is yet another tough decition to make.

Looknig at this thread reminded me of a few years back when I put a 1.4 and 2x tc on a 600/4 with my D200:

600_convertors.jpg

Here is a the scene I was looking at, the red circle highlights what I then looked at through the lens...which was soft as you like lol

_D2N5792_funtowe_two.jpg

Oh and this is not a %100 crop, its the full frame shot just resized...told you it was soft...

_D2N5505_funtower.jpg

Amazing thing is, it still autofocused...slowly..lol

Oh and this is not a %100 crop, its the full frame shot just resized...told you it was soft...

Amazing thing is, it still autofocused...slowly..lol

Remember that at this magnification, some of the softness might also be ascribed to atmospheric haze rather than your lens combination.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back