85mm f/1.4 for Nikon

Sachphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok so I was doing some searching and came across this...

Bower 85mm f/1.4 Manual Focus Telephoto Lens for Nikon SLY85N -

First off I know it is MF. But 349? seriously? Anybody used one?
Any thoughts. I have to wonder at the quality of this. I have seen similar glass under different names...Vivitar, Rokinon...ECT....I bet the coma is out of this world...

About a year ago,I went to the Manual Focus Forum and found some very good links of sample pages from that lens, mostly from Japanese photographers enamored of wide-aperture "bokeh photography". I downloaded about 150 high-quality sample pics from the lens, from all over the web...the lens is available under multiple brand names--Vivitar, Samyang, Bower, etc...it's the same lens, produced in Korea.

It's manual focusing, which is pretty easy technology to manufacture. The lens offers pretty good bokeh. It's well worth the money, in my estimation.

for $350 it's actually a pretty darn good lens.

This lens is sold all over the world....if you want to search for photos made by this particular 85mm 1.4 with aspherical design, search for the following brands:

Bower, Samyang, Opteka, Rokinon, Polar (in Asian markets), Vivitar, Walimex (in Australia)

I bet that would be a great lens for Video on a DSLR.... Since you manual focus mostly.

Yeah I saw a bunch of different brands of this lens.

Im so tempted. One on ebay buy it now.....235! If I get it ill post some test shots for everyone.

I noticed from the flickr group images, there's a lot of miss focused point. My guess is, it's most likely due to the ultra shallow DOF from the f/1.4 and MF. Either that or the focusing ring just sucks.

I noticed from the flickr group images, there's a lot of miss focused point. My guess is, it's most likely due to the ultra shallow DOF from the f/1.4 and MF. Either that or the focusing ring just sucks.

1.4 is very shallow. They are going for 200-235 on ebay. I think I am going to get one. I think it could be pretty good for the price. I Man focused for 12 years and have a pretty good eye. That in addition to my D300, I think this would be a great lens for portraits. Time will tell

Well I bit. When I get it in I will do a review of it on my D300 and post some test shots. I have not heard any bad about it really. Lots of good surprisingly. AF lovers might differ... lol
Ill keep everyone updated

Most reactions

Back