8k to invest...

selo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, So 2015 is almost at his end. Our tax forms needs to filed soon. In The Netherlands we have some ineteresting Tax rules esp. for starting companies. We made a calculation and if we invest about 8k in euro's we will have some interesting benefits....

So we are trying to figure what we need to invest in, things we need:
- We started doing more outdoor potrait photography and we would like to get the 70-200 f2.8 which is just under 2k
- A new laptop around 1.1k
- The sigma 50mm 1.4 art for around 850 (esp. for newborn photography)
- We need a new body, since we are shooting indoor (newborns) a full frame sensor is a must. So i was thinking off getting the 5d m3 which is about 2.8k
- Which leaves us a few €€ for props, studiogear etc.

However i am not sure which body i should get... since the 5d mark 4 should be around the corner. Which would probably cost around 3.5k (guessing). Things i am thinking off...
- Get the mark 3 and see if you would like to sell it to get the mark 4 (probably not)
- Buy a canon 6d and upgrade to mark 4 (more likely)
-- this will make it easier to upgrade to a mark 4 cause it would be a bigger jump
-- canon 6d will be easier to sell as used product (i think)
-- i will have more money left to get some other gear

I have watched some comparison vids of the mark 3 vs 6d... i think the biggest difference is the 61 focus points. Is this really usefull? I have rented and used the mark 3 but didn't had the chance to fully compare the 61 point focus points..

Last edited:
Looks like you are doing your homework on this one.

Question, since you are looking at landscape and portrait work, have you considered the 5Ds or the 5DsR? Both of these were intended more for the type of photography that you describe. They are in the mid-$3K USD here. The difference is the low-pass filter cancellation that the R has.

I also comapred 5d mark 3 vs 5ds.... I forgot to mention we do outdoor potrait photography, weddings etc. For the type of work we do, we barely need that much details in our pictures. However if we did landscapes or product photography, i think the 5ds would be the better choice.

If you think I should still get the 5ds, i am very interested to know why :)

I also comapred 5d mark 3 vs 5ds.... I forgot to mention we do outdoor potrait photography, weddings etc. For the type of work we do, we barely need that much details in our pictures. However if we did landscapes or product photography, i think the 5ds would be the better choice.

If you think I should still get the 5ds, i am very interested to know why :)

I don't necessarily think you should get the 5Ds. As I read your post talking about the portraits, landscape and the 5D mk IV, which is barely being mentioned now. So I thought I would mention those two images. The only issue that I would see that either the 5Ds or R would be the ISO in low light situations of weddings.

If you don't think you need that much detail, then you probably don't. I just upgraded to a 7D mk II and I am waiting to see all the specs for the 5D mk IV, if and when they decided to announce it.

If you go with a desktop instead of a laptop, you can get more computer for less.
The 5D mk III is a fine camera.
If you're not tied to a brand, the D750 or D810 are far superior.
If money is an issue, the 50mm f/1.8 of either brand would be 90% the lens for 1/8th the cost.
The money saved can go into lighting gear.

I decided to get the canon 6d. For the type of work i am doing, i dont really need to invest 1.4k extra for the mark 3.. i rather get extra lenses.

I did compare the d750 with the canon 6d... the nikon has very nice specs. 2 memory slots, higher MP and it only costs 400 more. However if i get a nikon i will have to invest more money in lenses. Since i own some good lenses for the canon, like the 24-70 2.8 and 50mm 1.4.. and most of my friends own a canon we borrow lenses if one of us need it. Would thus help/work?
Vello Lens Mount Adapter - Nikon F Lens to Canon EOS LA-CEF-NAF

Would it be better for the long term to switch to the nikon? I think canon will upgrade there bodies very soon, then the canon would be far superior over the nikons. A few years later it would be the other way around again...

Am i right?

Last edited:
Ya, better off staying with chosen brand. I wouldn't worry bout cameras that may be released, current models will still be good when new models come out.

I wouldn't bother with Nikon Canon adapters personally.

I'd happily shoot anything with a 6d, in fact it's image quality is supposed to be slightly better than the 5d3, however if you are using a camera day in day out for pro work you might want the 5d3 over the 6d because it is more solid and robust

Well, Canon is the best in many fields, such as Autofocus(*), Colors, Ergonomics. Their disadvantage in sensor technology will fade at some point, and its not a huge difference either way. It mostly is visible when it comes to dynamic range.

(*) At least with the 1Dx and the 5D3, while the 6D has a rather meager amount of AF points compared to Nikon D610/D750.

Don't bother with lens adapters. Didn't know you already had a ton of canon glass. You made the right choice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back