A Bridge to far, my first 3 shots, now it's your shot.

PJcam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please comment regarding the following images, they were taken yesterday, this was my first time out with the camera. The images taken were taken sat in my car in the only parking places that were available at the time. They were all taken in Manual mode.

Image 1 - A Bridge to far - it was taken 3/4 hour before high tide.
180204_Sandside.jpg

f5.0 - 1/1600sec - 200ISO - 25mm - Lens Canon EF 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6

Image 2 and 3 were taken 5 miles from the first one, about 20mins before high tide.
They were taken in the only place I could access my main aim for testing the camera, nothing wrong with the camera, OK I was testing my first shots to see how little I know.
To much sky blue, to much mud, testing wide angle lens.
BAY1.jpg

f/5.6 - 1/500sec - ISO100 - 18mm - Lens Canon EF 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6

The third image was take 1.5 minutes after the second one, under the layers of clouds.
BAY2.jpg

f5.6 - 1/800sec - 55mm - Lens Canon EF 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6

They were my first attempt, ignore the fact I am totally new to the hobby, I shot the pictures, now feel free to shoot away with your comments, criticism and suggestions. Thank you. I know I have a lot to learn with your help I will do so faster.

I like the first one, but the last 2 need some kind of subject. They're good blank canvases. tho. Maybe a couple of people, or a sailboat finding some thin water along the shore.

Good exposures, good focus. In some areas, it is possible to drive along the road, somewhat slowly, and when something interesting pops up, to pull over, and to shoot from the open window of the car. Seriously! I got some VERY nice photos doing this last summer. Rural back or side roads can offer some very nice views.

From the bridge parking lot, I can see that a long telephoto lens could be quite good at selecting narrow angles of view. As was mentioned above, some type of good focal point would be nice: a sailboat, a fishing boat, whatever, anything like that would be a good added element, especially with a long, selective-view telephoto lens.

For your first time out, you did okay!

For being new, these are quite nice, good color and quality. You'll probably start seeing better and better compositions as you go along.

I do too Derrel - take pictures out the car window (not when I'm driving!). Have gotten some of my best stuff that way, I think I do better when I don't think. Actually after enough years I think you just see a good picture when you see it, without having to think about it much.

It might be worth going back and playing around with some more compositions. Maybe think about if a photo's about the sky, or more mud! That one maybe could be interesting with just low clouds and more foreground if there are interesting ruts and patterns, etc. in the mud. In the second one there is a small pile of rocks to the left, and I got to wondering what's off in the distance to the right? it's just along the edge of the frame - I could see more than one composition possibility there.

In the first one I kind of like that green painted railing, but yet it detracts from the bridge and that little pattern of curving blue water in the sand/gravel. More than one composition there; you could frame higher and get the bridge; or do some with the railing and figure out how that could work with the bridge. Lots to work with there I think, plenty of potential photographs there. And you seem to be having fun with it which is great too.

edit - It occurred to me you've got something going with leading lines too. Might be something to read about some rainy day.

I like the first one, but the last 2 need some kind of subject. They're good blank canvases. tho. Maybe a couple of people, or a sailboat finding some thin water along the shore.

Thanks for your comments ceemac, I prefer the first one but, it was Sunday, first sunny day for a while, cold but sunny, so it brought the people out, hence there was only one parking space, so it was more try the camera, in manual mode, see what I get. Unfortunately there were no boats, haven't seen many in the past and the only people walking were those in front of my lens on the path next to where I parked. I will probably try the bridge scene another time, through the week when quieter, drive up and down the half mile stretch and consider the options.

As for the last two, we were heading home, I knew high tide was due and just by chance to the shore road, it too was crammed with people and the only parking spot was the narrow gap I got into. Need to try another time, when quieter, there are some sea birds in that area, but not when lots of people around. These shots were not down to composition (as we can tell) they were trying camera in manual mode and seeing difference in lenses, here wide angle then a bit further in taking it under the clouds. Playing and learning I call it.

Thanks again for taking time to comment, I appreciate them.

Good exposures, good focus. In some areas, it is possible to drive along the road, somewhat slowly, and when something interesting pops up, to pull over, and to shoot from the open window of the car. Seriously! I got some VERY nice photos doing this last summer. Rural back or side roads can offer some very nice views.

From the bridge parking lot, I can see that a long telephoto lens could be quite good at selecting narrow angles of view. As was mentioned above, some type of good focal point would be nice: a sailboat, a fishing boat, whatever, anything like that would be a good added element, especially with a long, selective-view telephoto lens.

For your first time out, you did okay!

Hi Derrel, thanks for your comments.

I love to get out in the country, drive down those narrow roads few go on, roads my wife certainly wouldn't drive on. I saw the field of geese and went dam! Camera in case in back of car, can wife get it for me, can I get a shot, car coming towards me had to move to a passing bay, missed opportunity. I am sure there will be many more. First time out with the camera I don't think I am ready for wildlife yet, just need to transmit the controls in my mind into action with the camera, so nothing lost I felt, it was just a testing the camera day. I never considered the larger telephoto lens for the bridge, wide angle was in mind, try the first two lenses and get to know what was possible with them. The bridge would be good to catch a train coming across and get in further I think, not the small sprinters but check when a steam train would be going over.

I have made a few other comments in a reply above, many thanks for your reply I really appreciate the comments.

For being new, these are quite nice, good color and quality. You'll probably start seeing better and better compositions as you go along.

I do too Derrel - take pictures out the car window (not when I'm driving!). Have gotten some of my best stuff that way, I think I do better when I don't think. Actually after enough years I think you just see a good picture when you see it, without having to think about it much.

It might be worth going back and playing around with some more compositions. Maybe think about if a photo's about the sky, or more mud! That one maybe could be interesting with just low clouds and more foreground if there are interesting ruts and patterns, etc. in the mud. In the second one there is a small pile of rocks to the left, and I got to wondering what's off in the distance to the right? it's just along the edge of the frame - I could see more than one composition possibility there.

In the first one I kind of like that green painted railing, but yet it detracts from the bridge and that little pattern of curving blue water in the sand/gravel. More than one composition there; you could frame higher and get the bridge; or do some with the railing and figure out how that could work with the bridge. Lots to work with there I think, plenty of potential photographs there. And you seem to be having fun with it which is great too.

edit - It occurred to me you've got something going with leading lines too. Might be something to read about some rainy day.

Hello Sharon (the other) Sharon, thank you for your comments.

The first shot, I wasn't totally happy with, even nearer high tide might have been better but, the day was about trying the camera for the first time, in manual mode. Happen as well as there was only the one parking space so I didn't have a lot of choice except I did capture the bridge (not that it was going to run away). I am sure I will come back to this another time, there is half a mile of road by the water so driving up and down I can look for different and better composition. I did consider more sky less railings in the first one but as I moved up I felt the single rail didn't look right whereas the double rail and post looked better. Good tester I think, trying to balance foreground with background and getting the bridge well in the theme, maybe if I raised a little more the balance would have been better.

As for the last two shots, in a way they were a waste of time, well not totally I was testing manual mode and two lenses so in that sense it was worthwhile. You got a good eye Sharon, I wanted to take the shot to my right, there was more snow covered mountains and hill tops, more dense snow, sadly I couldn't from where I was sparked. If I moved left I got the car in the shot, if I moved right I got the car next to me in the shot, frustrating but as stated it was more what could I do with the camera and have a feel for the smaller wider angle lenses than anything else.

Something to read on a rainy day :biglaugh:it never stops! Sunday sunny, Monday rain, today it is snowing. Roll in spring and summer :icon_camera:

Many thanks for your comments, they are always welcome and help me learn.

I must say, I expected a bashing with comments, especially the last two images, I think maybe you guys are being a bit kind because I am just starting out.

I was not aware my images were on 'do not edit'

Having received a PM from a member of the forum I have now changed this.

Thanks for your comments and help everyone.

I like the rail, but the green distracts my eye from the bridge also.

This is a common problem with color photography. A bright color that distracts your eye from the subject. I get this problem often when shooting gym sports, when someone in the bleachers is wearing a "LOOK AT ME" bright color jacket. grrrrr

In this case, I don't know what you could have done.
But distracting colors is something to be aware of when you compose a shot.

This is a common problem with color photography. A bright color that distracts your eye from the subject. I get this problem often when shooting gym sports, when someone in the bleachers is wearing a "LOOK AT ME" bright color jacket. grrrrr

@ac12 @vintagesnaps I understand what you are saying, I looked at the railings as running at an angle, the opposite angle to the bridge so they sort of gave an effect rather than just a plain shot. That said, I did juggle with it as mentioned earlier, if I raised the shot and only got the top rail and post it didn't look right either, I guess the answer would have been get out of the car, standing against it, above the railings and compose the shot with the bridge as the main theme, with the wavy water part in the foreground and the sky in the background.

As you say no shot is a waste of time if you are learning, I will always be learning LOL. Already this simple shot has caused the mind to think of the many variations possible, that must be a positive conclusion to a through the car window, testing camera and lens situation. (I think).

Thank you for your comments.

@ac12 @vintagesnaps I understand what you are saying, I looked at the railings as running at an angle, the opposite angle to the bridge so they sort of gave an effect rather than just a plain shot. That said, I did juggle with it as mentioned earlier, if I raised the shot and only got the top rail and post it didn't look right either, I guess the answer would have been get out of the car, standing against it, above the railings and compose the shot with the bridge as the main theme, with the wavy water part in the foreground and the sky in the background.

As you say no shot is a waste of time if you are learning, I will always be learning LOL. Already this simple shot has caused the mind to think of the many variations possible, that must be a positive conclusion to a through the car window, testing camera and lens situation. (I think).

Thank you for your comments.

Short of painting the rail black, there isn't much you can do with it. :azzangel:
That is just something to be aware of and try to deal with as best you can.
I actually like the rail, just not its color.

Like the person in the gym with the LOOK AT ME bright jacket, my only option is to move and shoot from the other side of the gym. Which depending on the shot I am trying to get, may or may not be an option.

There is always PhotoShop (PS).
I had to PS the LOOK AT ME bright orange dress that a guest was wearing at my nieces wedding. Any shot with her in it, that blasted dress totally distracting the eye from the bride and groom. So I used PS to turn it BLACK :biggrin-93:

Great to see you shooting and sharing, PJ. I'm impressed by the thoughtfulness you place in your learning path. Then, you went out and nailed some exposures, in manual, using the tools you researched and the knowlege you collected.

Looking forward to seeing the stories you tell through the lens.

Great to see you shooting and sharing, PJ. I'm impressed by the thoughtfulness you place in your learning path. Then, you went out and nailed some exposures, in manual, using the tools you researched and the knowlege you collected.

Looking forward to seeing the stories you tell through the lens.

Thanks zulu42

Thinking is a two way road I think (LOL) Thinking when you shoot (actually just before) and thinking when you get back home and look on a bigger screen. At least I gave it a shot in manual mode.

Thanks for your comments, I appreciate all replies and help given.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back