A Canceled Photography Trip......

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

I figure this might be the best place to whine a little. I hope you don't mind. But I am scheduled to take the AMTRAK to Chicago at 6:30 AM tomorrow morning. Have been feeling a little stressed about going to the big city. Thinking the weather might have something to do with it. It is currently 7 F with a windchill of -4 in the windy city. I would be carrying a backpack with a tripod and two extra lenses, walking the streets, the tour buses are not running..... There are things I could do. But I am not feeling the enthusiasm right now. I went to Chicago two weeks ago and had the time of my life. But the weather was different. Sort of feeling disappointed in myself.

Thanks for listening,

Lonnie

Sounds understandable to me, Lonnie. I'm not sure how enthusiastic I'd be about dragging that gear around in a -4' windchill!

A good photo trip shouldn't have to mean being severely uncomfortable the whole time.

Chicago is a fabulous city. :icon_cheers: But I'd rather check it out in June than February. I'm not afraid to admit it!

Sounds understandable to me, Lonnie. I'm not sure how enthusiastic I'd be about dragging that gear around in a -4' windchill!

A good photo trip shouldn't have to mean being severely uncomfortable the whole time.

Chicago is a fabulous city. :icon_cheers: But I'd rather check it out in June than February. I'm not afraid to admit it!

Hi Terri,

It is good to hear from you. I am glad that you agree. It can be hard to concentrate when the weather is bad.

Reschedule! No need to force it if it’s not going to be fun.

As Square peg says go another time.
At -4 you kit will be still to use and your batteries will suffer not to mention all the crud blow in the wind.
Just of interest I looked up the temp range for a canon 6d min is zero deg c to 40deg c

As Square peg says go another time.
At -4 you kit will be still to use and your batteries will suffer not to mention all the crud blow in the wind.
Just of interest I looked up the temp range for a canon 6d min is zero deg c to 40deg c

I was curious about low temperatures and camera performance. If a camera has condensation in it, and you step into below freezing temperatures, there could be a problem. I went to Chicago two weeks ago and it was 35 F with sunshine. It was perfect weather for ice skating and sight seeing. But this below zero windchill stuff is different.

If you go the obvious is to dress appropriate for the weather. Bring large ziplock bags and put your camera in it before entering a warm area to prevent condensation. Your batteries will drain quick so be aware of that. If you dress right, it should make the trip good. I personally hate bitter cold when shooting but you may be able to go down to the shore line and capture some unique images.

Isnt it NBA all star weekend in Chicago? Now for some people that’s a reason to go - activities, stars, parties... but for others that’s a reason to stay home - crowds, long waits for everything, upcharging everywhere...

If you go the obvious is to dress appropriate for the weather. Bring large ziplock bags and put your camera in it before entering a warm area to prevent condensation. Your batteries will drain quick so be aware of that. If you dress right, it should make the trip good. I personally hate bitter cold when shooting but you may be able to go down to the shore line and capture some unique images.

Good advice! Thank you very much

Isnt it NBA all star weekend in Chicago? Now for some people that’s a reason to go - activities, stars, parties... but for others that’s a reason to stay home - crowds, long waits for everything, upcharging everywhere...

Now I am getting in the mood for baseball.

Sometimes things work out for the best, seems better to go another time and enjoy it than to go and hate the whole darn experience!

Problems encountered at low temp, apart from the battery issues the oil/lubricant becomes thicker at low temp so the movements are stiffer and slower adding more drain on the batts.
I was using a k1000 in the winter 81/82 the diesel in the storage tanks was like soft wax my k1000 froze the lubricant was so still nothing worked ... was ok when warmed up

Most reactions

Back