Need advice about a Monopod

Lonnie1212

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Folks,

I am planning another trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks. I went to Chicago on the train yesterday. I took a table top tripod stand. It didn't work out so well, but it was easy to carry in my backpack. Was thinking that a monopod might be easier to strap to the backpack. I own a tripod, but it's really awkward to carry in crowded areas.

What has been your experience with using a monopod? Can anyone recommend a certain brand? How about the tilt head or the swivel mount?

Thank you,

Lonnie

A simple ball head is more than sufficient.

Most monopods have 1/4 × 20 NC threads, not 3/8.....

Most experienced monopod users mount the lens directly to the monopod, meaning using no head.

There is a reason they are called "tripod heads". If you have to use a head,perhaps the best type would be the gimbal style.

Hiya
I use the manfrotto mono pod,
I have added a padded top over the screw thread so that I can use it as a walking stick. I could not manage a stick and the monopod so the later has to do both jobs

I bought this one used (about $20 at that time) at Adorama (I am not associated with them) and it is pretty good.

The quick release plate that came with it is not as good as the Manfrotto brand one. Manfrotto quick release plate is smoother for the thumb screw. But one is not bad at all. And it's only 20 bucks and the mount is very solid. Works with my 7D and old 70-200 f/2.8 Sigma lens without any issue.

Of course, if you rather buy a name brand one, Manfrotto has one. Look like they use the same design. And I am happy with the 3Pod version based on the price and quality.

My really, really cheap Amazon-sourced "Abithid" tripod converts to monopod by unscrewing one of the legs and then taking the height-adjusting part out of the top of the tripod swivel assembly and screwing it onto said leg. I just checked and it uses the 3/8" thread to attach the ball-type head to that height-adjusting part.

I use the arca-swiss style mounting system. I don't have a reason to remove the ball-mount from my setup when I use it as a monopod, but if for whatever reason that was necessary I'd probably look into an arca-swiss compatible base to put on it, to allow the L-plate on my camera to clamp into.

Now all that said, I do not have the best results with longish exposures on a monopod. I find I just move too much. I'm probably better off using my tripod with one leg retracted, as basically a bipod or A-frame, so that it takes less room in three dimensions when carrying it, and keeping the leg pivot fasteners at the top loose enough to let me quickly swing-out or swing-in the legs. Probably keep enough tension on those fasteners so that I could use the two-legs held in a retracted position as a faux-monopod, but if circumstances permit, swing them out and use them as a bipod.

Maybe keep the third leg (normally the monopod leg) detached, use it as a truncheon if people get too close or too interested in my equipment. ;-)

A monopod is not designed for longish exposure times...but one can be used with a stabilized lens for some pretty slow speeds (1/3 second for example).

A camera clamp or a Gorilla Pod might be useful for travel uses.

Manfrotto do clamps if that’s your area of interest
NB I have no vested interests in manfrotto other that it”s a product I use
Therefore any suggestions are to help not for personal gain..
just a heads up before anyone asks

Manfrotto do clamps if that’s your area of interest
NB I have no vested interests in manfrotto other that it”s a product I use
Therefore any suggestions are to help not for personal gain..
just a heads up before anyone asks

I thought you owned Manfrotto. Lol.

Derrel, shush don’t tell the Mrs,
I walked into a camera shop years ago and told the staff what I wanted from a tripod.
After a very convincing demo, I have used manfrotto since. I do own some valbon kit but it’s small light weight tripod and boom arm. The latter was a long hard save to purchase that turned out to be disappointing.
One of the things I wanted was a QR plate that was secure. The staff in the camera shop put a canon 600d plus kit lens on, extended the legs to full reach then swung the whole lot round and round above their head. Yep the camera stained in place.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back