A candid prior to wedding

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone! We got married July 4th in the Black Hills of South Dakota! Prior to the wedding, I had the new 40D with the kit 28-135 lens mounted and was walking around snapping some shots of friends and family. Now this is my little nephew. He always hams it up for a camera and is very photogenic. I can't say that I have ever taken a bad photo of the kid. Anyway, other then the truck hood in the background what else could I have done to make this shot better? Thanks folks.

5.6 @ 1/320 sec 100 ISO 135mm focal length no flash

Perhaps some fill flash to reduce the shadowing under his eyes? I own a 580 EX II, but didn't have it on the camera at the time.

Thanks,

Derrick

nephew.jpg

In direct answer to your question about the fill flash I should say it'd not only have been "helpful" but actually essential to this photo, since it'd not only have reduced the shadows around his eyes but also given the eyes a catchlight, so they'd have sparkled some and no look like black holes. Other than that he sure is a very handsome young man!

Ya, a reflector to bounce light back to his face would have been essential here.

And he lacks emotional contact to the camera. Just looks like you caught him doing nothing spectacular.. eye contact would have been better or at least a different expression that doesn't seem like the photo was just 'spur of the moment' clicking.

Thanks. Its rather ironic that I had the 580 mounted about 90% of the time, but not at this moment. And you are right, the eyes are lacking.

Derrick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back