A Cold River Walk through Minneapolis

uberben

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.benberndtphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was up in the Twin Cities for a job interview so I decided to hook up with a fellow photographer friend for a river walk adventure. It was really sunny, but still c c c cold. I have edited a few so far, but these are the ones I like.

city4.jpg

Flash used: No
Focal length: 35.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
Aperture: f/7.1
ISO equiv.: 100
Metering Mode: center weight
Exposure: Manual

city3.jpg

Focal length: 48.0mm
Exposure time: 0.013 s (1/80)
Aperture: f/8.0
ISO equiv.: 100

city2.jpg

Focal length: 63.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
ISO equiv.: 200

city1.jpg

Focal length: 28.0mm
Exposure time: 0.0100 s (1/100)
ISO equiv.: 200

#3 is.. Wow. Can't exactly say what draws me to it. But that one stands out for me in this set.

ooh la la! :mrgreen: Love 1 and 4! Great attention to detail and vivid colors!

Thanks for the comments. I hadn't been to that area before so I it was fun seeing new things. I am getting way more winter photo adventures in this year.

A) Please enlighten me: which two cities are generally called "The Twin Cities" (sorry about my ignorance)

B) You do get much colder winters there than we do here. Wow. THAT is winter to me! (I'd freeze to death, I fear).

C) You have the knack to really capture it into your photos!

I really love the first and last of this series, though all four of them are great. But I like those best. The wonderful light and shadow situation in the first with the somewhat unusual, therefore very interesting view in the first and the clarity and crispness and blue tint (cold!) plus the overall composition of the last.

funny I thought the opposite of Lafoto, I think they look like a nice warm winter day with that bright sun, but I do live in Canada and it's currently -12 degrees. I really like the first, in the second i think you should make the shorline the straight horizontal line rather than the bridge. maybe not though. The second two look just a little tilted to the right but that could just be me. But I really like the pictures themselves!

-Joe

LaFoto said:
A) Please enlighten me: which two cities are generally called "The Twin Cities" (sorry about my ignorance)

I suppose your not from the Midwestern United States. If you are ever in MN and somebody says' i'm going to "the cities" they are talking about the Minneapolis/Saint Paul metro area. Commonly referred to as the "twin cities"

We are actually getting close to a warm spell for the christmas holiday. Supposed to get 40 on sunday from what I read. Hopefully I can convince a few people to go outside for some christmas poses in the snow.

uberben said:
I suppose your not from the Midwestern United States.

You're right: I'm from Germany.
That is a bit further east from the Midwestern United States...

But thanks: Minneapolis I had read in your title, but I can't say I have ever heard anything much about Saint Paul... But now I know and will keep that in mind forever!

And I am looking forward to your Christmas-in-the-snow pics.
Our weathermen have just announced "dirty weather" for Christmas Eve (i.e. grey, rainy, thick clouds, quite warm) in the low lands (i.e. where I am) but a change of weather on Christmas Day with an arctic stream coming in from the north and the chance for some thin and light snowfalls even in the low lands. Yay.

Nice detail of the Stone Arch. Where you to get that close? I've only walked across the top...

nealjpage said:
Nice detail of the Stone Arch. Where you to get that close? I've only walked across the top...

we found some steps leading down to the river shore and just did some shoreline walking. At the time I saw a name for the trail, but its evading me know.

I am actually really happy with the lens I used that day. It is a ef28-105 f/3.5-4.5 and I had been having some hot and cold results with it. I did a lens test going through the zoom and f/stop ranges and found my sweet spot. It has made a huge difference I think.

Here is a link to my test on it. I did one for a couple others as well. http://www.dailyphotochallenge.com/index.php?topic=61.0

Wonderful series! :D beautifully exposed and pin sharp shots
#1/3/4 for me.... love the simplicity of the third shot
nicely done.. look forward to the rest :thumbsup:
thanks for sharing :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back