In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here's the deal.
I made these 2 Moon photos using a 1500 mm f/4.9 fixed aperture lens (a Newtonian telescope that has a 12" mirror) .
But, to get the moon images focused on the camera's image sensor I had to put a 2x Barlow lens between the telescope and the Nikon D50 camera I used. The camera is mounted to the telescopes focuser using a T-ring and T-Adapter Barlow instead of using a eye piece.
Celestron 93402 T-Ring for Nikon Camera Attachment

Celestron T Adapter/Barlow 1.25 Universal (Req. T-Ring)

The 2x Barlow made the effective focal length 3000 mm, and the fixed aperture effectively f/9.8. The D50 was set to ISO 200, 1/50 for the shutter speed, and Sunlight for the white balance.

Without the 2x Barlow, I can't rack the telescope focuser far enough into the telescope to put the telescope prime focus on the camera's image sensor.

Using the 2x Barlow with a 12" mirror the moon is so big it can't all fit on the image sensor.
These are not crops of a larger photo. This is a full APS-C size frame. For more distant objects bright enough I can use a short enough shutter speed I can put a eye piece in the Barlow to get more than 2x magnification. Like if I want to get a shot of Saturn, Jupiter, Venus, or Mars.

I used the D50 because it is lightweight, and for my first attempt at doing this I wanted to make sure regarding how heavy a camera I can use.
Next time I will use my D300s so I can zoom in to check focus more effectively.

There was a fair amount of turbulent air because I was shooting towards Des Moines (50 miles away) and Des Moines and all along the line of sight was radiating today's accumulated heat up into the air between my telescope/camera and the Moon. The Moon was only about 35° above the horizon.

Any hoo. Here ya go. Note: The telescope turns the image upside down. I have turned these back over right side up.

Moon8-21-15niteB41stQrtrB.jpg

Moon8-21-15niteb41stqrtr.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Here I made a composite of the 2 photos. I left a black border to show where the 2 overlap.

It would take 4 APS-C size photos to show the Moon at 1st Quarter, which happens 8/22.
It would take 8 photos to show the entire Moon.

You might like to know that with good 'seeing' conditions a 12" telescope can resolve details as small a 1.1 miles across 250,000 miles away on the Moon.

MoonComposite.jpg

Very informative! Thanks!

With the exception of the D50, I don't know what any of that stuff is, but it was an interesting and informative post any how. Thanks for that.

KmH would you be able to post a photo of the rig as you described as I am interested in attempting. Its a friend of mine has the scope and nikon adapter but is reluctant to use it for some reason, the adapter that is, maybe if I could show a photo of a working unit it would move things along.

Thanks

I saw the pictures in your first post, did you have a old rig before you got this

Last edited:
Wow!

That rig is amazing! Would it be possible to take a moonrise shot with something earthly in the foreground ( obviously, the earthly object would need to be a very very distant object).

Nice, big image, but there seems to be a slight softness--is that due to the heat shimmer/air turbulence? Or the slowish shutter speed and planetary rotation showing at such high magnification?

KmH would you be able to post a photo of the rig as you described as I am interested in attempting. Its a friend of mine has the scope and nikon adapter but is reluctant to use it for some reason, the adapter that is, maybe if I could show a photo of a working unit it would move things along.

Thanks

I saw the pictures in your first post, did you have a old rig before you got this
I last had a telescope about 30 years ago.
What kind of telescope and mount does your friend have?

I was planning to make some photos of the telescope with the D50 in the focuser later today

Wow!

That rig is amazing! Would it be possible to take a moonrise shot with something earthly in the foreground ( obviously, the earthly object would need to be a very very distant object).
Yes, but the closer to the horizon anything is that is outside our atmosphere, the more atmosphere and turbulence we have to look/photograph through.
However, I would only be able to have about 1/8 of the Moon in such a shot.

Thanks

I last had a telescope about 30 years ago.
What kind of telescope and mount does your friend have?

I was planning to make some photos of the telescope with the D50 in the focuser later today

Wow!

Yes, but the closer to the horizon anything is that is outside our atmosphere, the more atmosphere and turbulence we have to look/photograph through.
However, I would only be able to have about 1/8 of the Moon in such a shot.
I think such a photo would have an opportunity to be awesome!

Nice, big image, but there seems to be a slight softness--is that due to the heat shimmer/air turbulence? Or the slowish shutter speed and planetary rotation showing at such high magnification?
Most of the softness is because of the roiling atmosphere. If I had been looking through an eye piece I would be able to see the atmosphere between me and the moon distorting the moon features a bit.
Had the moon been higher in the sky the image would have been sharper.

Thanks for the clarification. I thought it might have been the atmospheric conditions, since you referenced that a bit. Nere the atmospheric conditions are of heavy, whitish forest fire smoke! This AM the sun was a bright ball of fiery ORANGE around 8 AM....visibility probably one mile...the stench of burning wood and grasses is all around us now, as 20 wildfires rage throughout Oregon...

KmH would you be able to post a photo of the rig as you described . . .

Camera, T-ring, 1.25" T-Adapter/Barlow (Sorry about the image noise. I forgot to change the ISO from doing other astrophotography last night/this morning for these shots.)
RingBarlowCamera.jpg

The T-Ring on the camera. Note the threads on the inside of the T-Ring the T-Adapter screws onto.
T-RingMounted.jpg

And with the T-Adapter/Barlow mated to the T-Ring.
D50T-RlngAdapter.jpg

Mounted on the focuser
CloseUp.jpg

DSLRonFocuser.jpg

Most reactions

Back