KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have mentioned before I had new lenses put in my eyes and can see very well at a distance again.

That re-sparked my interest in astronomy, so UPS delivered 3 big boxes Monday afternoon that contained my new, fast, 12", f/4.9, 1500 mm Newtonian telescope and Dobson type altitude-azimuth mount.

The 2 biggest boxes weighed 90 lbs together so the UPS guy had to use a hand cart to get the boxes to the back door.
_KMH0752.jpg

Tres cajas (3 boxes)
The 12" mirror in it's mirror cell was very well packaged by itself in a double box (22 lbs). It's the box on top of the biggest box. The flat box (42 lbs) has the base/mount parts in it. The biggest box (48 lbs) holds the 14" optical tube sections and sundry other parts.
3%20boxes.jpg

The main telescope mirror all snug, cozy, and safe in it's shipping box.
_KMH0756.jpg

Here is the base all assembled. The Altitude and Azimuth bearings have electronic magnetic position encoders on them that report to a 9v battery powered, hand-held object locator computer that plugs into the center of that white circle on the near side panel. The silver disc on the far side panel is the altitude position encoder. Because of the grass you can't see the lower part of the base that has 3 feet on the ground. The part of the base you can see is the azimuth bearing and it rotates on that lower base.
Once an telescope alignment sequence has been completed, the object locator computer gives directions for moving the telescope in altitude and azimuth
_KMH0003.jpg

To aid portability the optical tube assembly (OTA) has 3 sections.
The lowest section has the main mirror in the bottom of it. Here I have the tube section cover on so nothing can fall onto the 12" wide main mirror. This section of the OTA has 2, 8" altitude bearings on the sides and 4 truss rod brackets around the top of it.
We cannot see here is a fan on the bottom of the mirror cell to help get the thick Pyrex mirror to the same temperature as the ambient air temperature. The mirror cell fan is powered by 8, D-cell batteries.
_KMH0004.jpg

Here I took the tube cap off for an oblique look down at the mirror. The surface of the mirror is not flat. It has been ground to the shape of a parabola that causes light to focus 1500 mm from the mirror. You can see 2 of the 3 edge clips that hold the mirror in it's 9-point flotation cell. The shot also shows the top of the altitude bearing on the side of the tube and the bolts and nuts inside the tube that mount the 2 bearings to the tube.
_KMH0005.jpg

Down the tube.
_KMH0007.jpg

Here the 8 truss rods have been attached to the 4 truss rod mounting brackets on the lower tube section.
_KMH0009.jpg

The top tube section with it's 2"/1.25", 2-speed (11:1), Crayford style eyepiece focuser and 9x50 finder scope now secured to the top of truss rods. I have moved the telescope in altitude
Also the object locator computer is plugged in and stuck to the side panel w/Velcro.
_KMH0015.jpg

Here is a shot that shows the flat, oval, tilted at 45° secondary mirror that deflects the light from the main mirror 90° and out the side of the tube to the focuser. If you look in the focuser without an eyepiece in it, the tilted, flat secondary mirror looks round. To the right of the focuser you can see the mount for the finder scope - without the finder scope in the mount.
_KMH0012.jpg

To give a sense of scale, I got some overweight, 5' 10" tall old guy to stand next to the telescope.
_KMH0020.jpg

Last edited:
So, when exactly did Aperture Fever take hold?

That's monstrous. I'm assuming you can attach a dslr/mirror less to it, yes? Can't wait for some images!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He looks happy to have the new telescope! Congratulations!

"Go big! Or go home!" It's cloudy tonight so the mosquitoes are going to starve without me outside to suck blood out of.

For a time when I lived in Tucson I was a volunteer at the Flandrau Planetarium on the campus of the University of Arizona.

I leveraged that association to garner some observing/photography time on several Steward Observatory telescopes in and around Tucson.

Back then I had a 6" Meade Newtonian on a motor driven EQ mount, and an 8" Celestron Schmidt Camera on a Celestron motorized EQ mount. With the Celestron I could expose 1 frame of film at a time. An exposure of the Andromeda galaxy that imaged the outer reaches of Andromeda took about 45 minutes, and no auto-guiders.

This is a big as I could justify from an ease of portability perspective.
Orion makes a 14" f/4.6 that isn't much more costly, but just enough more unwieldy that I went with the 12".
Assembled my XX12i weighs 86.5 lbs - 34 lbs for the base, 49.5 lbs for the assembled OTA, and 3 lbs for the finder and 2 eyepieces that are included with the telescope.
The base, 2 tube sections, and truss rods all fit in the back of my car with little room to spare.
I have to tilt the base to get the side panels in and then they barely clear the roof.
The short upper tube section sits on the bottom of the base.

I didn't get the GoTo version of this 12" truss rod telescope because with the GoTo motors and beefed up base it weighs 128.75 lbs.

That's monstrous. I'm assuming you can attach a dslr/mirror less to it, yes? Can't wait for some images!
12" is a good size but there are bigger amateur telescopes.
Teeter's Telescopes in Rockaway, NJ make fast dobsonian mount telescopes with up to 22" f/3.3 mirrors (only $11,050). They make it f/3.3 to keep the eyepiece about the height of an adult man.
Yes some photos, but with a couple of serious limitations:
1. This telescope is optimized for visual use. Telescopes of this type (Newton telescope) optimized for doing astrophotography (they are known as astrographs) have the prime focus outside the telescope tube. Other telescope types make even better astrographs, but they are heavier and require a more substantial mount.
2. Telescopes for astrophotography have a motorized mount that counters the earth's rotation on it's axis. This telescope is moved manually. The computer object locator with this telescope is a PushTo system that just shows the telescope operator -me- which way and how much to push the telescope in altitude and azimuth. The initial numbers displayed get smaller the closer to the selected object I get. Some of the things I want to look at are quite dim and pretty small even with a bunch of magnification. By the way, the more magnification you use the dimmer the object appears in the eyepiece.

I will be able to make photos of the Moon and some other bright objects that can be imaged before the would get blurred by the earth's rotation making them move in the telescope's view. At high magnifications I will have to continually 'bump' the telescope in both altitude and azimuth to correct for earth's rotation and keep my subject in the eyepiece.

One of the things I want to look at and make photos of is the sun. To do so I will need a solar filter. Good glass solar filters have a nickel-chromium stainless steel alloy vaporized onto the glass to block most of the sunlight yet keep the sun a natural color.
With a 12" mirror I will be able to see, and photograph, granulation on the visible surface of the sun.

Last edited:
"Go big!Or go home!" It's cloudy tonight so the mosquitoes are going to starve without me outside to suck blood out of.................

Don't tell me about the cloudy skies and skeeters..... I ain't far from ya.

Someday, I should get my CPC1100 out.

Congratulations.....looking forward for awsome pictures of celestial bodies......

Don't tell me about the cloudy skies and skeeters..... I ain't far from ya.
Someday, I should get my CPC1100 out.
Yep, you should.
Does your 2800 mm folded optical path f/10 OTA weigh about 30 lbs?

The DMAS club skips public nights in July at the Ashton-Wildwood County Park because of the clouds, heat and late sunset times.
The local club (I sent a check to join) has a public night at there observatory Friday July 24. That gives me time to get familiar with my telescope.

Congratulations.....looking forward for awsome pictures of celestial bodies......
Look way forward.
I'll need to get accessories that will let me mount a DSLR to the telescope to make photos.

I haven't yet found a full aperture solar filter big enough to fit the 14" tube my 12" mirror is in so I can observe/photograph the sun
There are other accessories I need that have a higher priority.

Neat dobson. I was looking at those before I got my current (used) Meade LX200 12inch. I nearly bought a 14incher but the weight & size of those made portability near impossible for me. So I stuck with the 12 inch.

Those Orions are very nice scopes. Hope you have fun with it.

Last edited:
Thanks to you and Designer.
I can slew that dob around like a turret gunner, and zap, zap, zap, zap - one celestial sight after another
Synta makes the optics for Orion & Celestron.
Synta bought Celestron back in 2005 but had been providing glass to Celestron for a lot of years beforehand.

I don't know where Meade sources their glass, but GSO is the other major provider of telescope glass - mirrors and lenses.
Synta is in China. GSO is in Taiwan.

That's what I like about the Orion - a goto feature

The other Dobsons are done by hand. I nearly bought a 16inch 1829mm Meade dobson instead of my scope but those are slewed by hand, and get kinda big in size.

Meade was sold off in 2013 to Chinese manufacturer Ningbo Sunny Electronic Co. for $5.9 million - who makes cheap telescope stuff. So Meade was a known worldwide brand for them. Ningbo outbid Meade's supplier Jinghua Optics & Electronics Co. from Guangzhou, China. Jinghua ironically owns Meade's European unit. But Meade was done for .. they hadn't been profitable since before 2008.

Meade also supposedly, back in the day, provided the assemblies to Nikon for the 500 and 1,000mm Reflex lenses.

Excellent. Congratulations.
Please keep us posted of you progress and initial photos.

"To give a sense of scale, I got some overweight, 5' 10" tall old guy to stand next to the telescope."

Ha ha ha he looks great and that's a great journalistic piece on the arrival of the telescope. Happy stars to you!

Wow! I honestly thought you were joking when I read the thread title. That is quite the piece of equipment you have there. I am intrigued, and slightly intimidated. I can't wait to see what you create with it!

Wow! I honestly thought you were joking when I read the thread title. That is quite the piece of equipment you have there. I am intrigued, and slightly intimidated. I can't wait to see what you create with it!
Yep. It is a precision, scientific instrument. If I choose to, I can contribute to the ongoing collection of valuable scientific astronomical research data.
Of course, the f-stop is fixed, can't be changed, and the point of focus distances are, ah, extreme. The moon is the closest sky point-of-focus: at about 250,000 miles away.
No shallow depth-of-field with this puppy.

It doesn't zoom, but I can change eyepieces to get different magnification for my eye. Currently I have 3 eyepieces and a 2x barlow lens, so I currently have magnifications of 43x, 115x, 150x, 230x and 300x.
Saturn at 230x magnification is pretty neat. I need really steady sky to use 300x, or more.
Actually, as you look in the telescope you can see the 'seeing' get better and worse as the air currents you are looking through move about (worse) and settle down (better). Using a good telescope makes you very aware that the atmosphere is always in motion.

As I've said before the telescope is designed for visual use.
Joining the amateur astronomer clubs near me will gain me access to somewhat bigger telescopes the clubs own that are optimized for doing photography.
The amateur astronomer club in Des Moines has a $12,000 (for just the optical tube assembly), 16" research grade telescope. (Meade 16" LX-200)
Add the cost of the telescope mount/pier and observatory dome to block stray light, it's like having a $25,000 lens to use.

I need an observing chair that has a variable seat height.
I can buy a nice one on Amazon.com for $150.
Or. I can do DIY and build one.
Today I went out and bought the wood and hardware I need to build a somewhat modified version of a modified Denver Observing Chair.
The wood and hardware cost me $23.
I'll buy white paint and paint it to make it easier to see in the dark and keep it from being weathered.
Call it $35 - total. I figure I'm saving $115 I can spend on some other accessory(s) I need.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back