A couple of motorcycle shots

Hellhound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
DSC_0009a.jpg

HD800x536b1.jpg

The first one is awesome, almost abstract, the tones are suberb. I like the second one too, looks a bit oversharpened though.

The first one is awesome, almost abstract, the tones are suberb. I like the second one too, looks a bit oversharpened though.

Thanks for your critique; I appreciate it. Yep--over-sharpening is definitely an issue for me. I know I do it, I know I should slack off a little, but I always do it anyway. It's as hard for me to cut down on that as it is to drink less coffee.

I'm really diggin the second one. Its got great atmosphere going on in it. Like SteveZ said, they are all oversharpened. You could maybe mess around with an unsharp mask sometime instead, it can really enhance a photo too.

I like the abstractness of the first, however it looks like it was taken during late in the evening because of those shadows. Because of the nature of that shot i think it would look A LOT better w/o those evening sun shadows and take it from amateur looking to more professional.

It was taken at about 4:30 in the afternoon in mid to late February with the back of the bike facing W/SW, so the shadows were a bit long. I like the shadows how they are, but you raise an interesting point--I should retake it under several different lighting conditions and then compare 'em.

Thanks for your critique; I appreciate it. Yep--over-sharpening is definitely an issue for me. I know I do it, I know I should slack off a little, but I always do it anyway. It's as hard for me to cut down on that as it is to drink less coffee.
I think a lot depends on the final form of exhibiting an image.

What is sharpened well for printing out on an ink jet will often appear over sharpened when viewed online.

If your image editor allows layers, you could have one version for web, and one version for print.

If your editor doesn't utilise layers, save one version of each.

Yeah, I understand that coffee thing. :coffee:

Funny thing about printing--I almost never print anything anymore. I was just pondering that the other day--I'm not sure why I don't anymore. I might print 4 or 5 photos over the course of a year.

Same here. I think for me, it's due to being able to post online.

A friend just mentioned a print exhibition, and this week I've printed out about 5 versions each of 3 images, trying to get the right combination of hue, saturation, value, sharpness. I had to go out and get new ink as the cartridges in my printer had dried up!

Ink is so expensive that I rarely even buy it anymore; my son uses it so much I make him pay for it.

Here's another one. I just downloaded the free 15-day trial of Silver Efex Pro and Ive been messing around with it. It seems to be fairly straightforward, at least the basic functions anyway.

Adustygastank.jpg

Chrome works great in B&W, doesn't it? That last one is much smoother than the others. I think it fits nicely with the first one. All that white in the upper right hinders the composition. Consider cropping 1.5" from the right side. The photo would end about .5" to the right of your reflection.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back