A couple of pics, harsh CC please

I like it. And when I opened this thread and I saw the color version, that's all I saw at first, and I thought, "MAN, this would look GREAT in black and white"
Then I scrolled down and you had already converted it, in GIMP of all things.
I use GIMP for ALL of my black and white conversions.

I agree that it would be interesting to turn on one or two of the faucets.

I think that how far or close you are to your subject is going to affect the way the bokeh appears in a photo.
You were probably standing close to the faucets when you were photographing them, so that could be why only one is in focus, I think. I believe I have that correct.
Example: I took this shot @f7.1, and I stood as close as my 50mm would allow me to get the shot.
As you can see, only the center of the picture is really in sharp focus.
2956337980_68a6ac60f7_o.jpg

I like your shot, actually. And if you ever want help with using GIMP and converting to black and white, feel free to ask me.
Did you use your channel mixer to convert that shot to black and white?

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the offer. This was the first time I EVER used GIMP, and dear lord, it took forever for me to figure how to do what little I did. I think the more I learn about the program and try to edit, the more questions I will have, so I'm sure in the future I will be asking you. Thanks again.

Also thanks for clarifying the f/8 and how it was affecting the DOF. Tomorrow I will try to shoot from several angles and with the water and we can see how it turns out. Wish me luck!

Thanks,
John

Alright everybody. As promised a few more pics from the faucets. I don't know that these pics are any better than the first shoot, which is disappointing. Tell me what you think, technically, artistically, and how I can improve please. Thanks!!!

First pic is original with no post processing.
Nikon D80
Sigma 17-70mm
f/5
1/200sec
ISO-160
70mm

DSC_0058.jpg

Pic 2 is the same as the first except with a B/W conversion, upped the contrast, and lowered the brightness a little.

FaucetswithWater.jpg

Pic 3 is a different angle of the faucets. Is it underexposed? There is no pp.
Nikon D80
Sigma 17-70mm
f/8
1/80sec
ISO-160
55mm

DSC_0002.jpg

Fourth pic was fun b/c I caught one of my students trying to hop the fence and skip school (actually quite usual).

Nikon D80
Sigma 17-70mm
f/8
1/50sec
ISO-160
50mm

DSC_0023.jpg

Thanks!

John

the first two are better than the last two (the recent 4 photos you posted)
and good work with the b&w conversion

Most reactions

Back