A couple of shots from my new Rebel XT

JRob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got the camera today and I am pretty new at photography in general so c&c is very welcome. I have terrible lighting here at work too so that cant help.

These were both post processed using gimp.
coke2cm3.jpg

coke3xk4.jpg

The coke labels look distorted on the second PP attempt, so I like the first shot better.

I'm in the same spot as you - I'm new to photography, just got a Rebel XT, and am just playing around to learn the way things work. Best of luck to you.

I know it's tempting to shoot the first thing you see in your room when you get your first DSLR (heck, I'm on my 2nd and a year into and I still bust out the camera in my room sometimes) but to be honest, most of what you can shoot in your house will get old really quickly and make for boring subject matter. So my first bit of advice is to go out there and take some pictures, bring the camera to an event, at first you feel awkward having this "large" camera around your neck in events that may not be so photo worthy, but something, a birthday party, a parade, a night out with friends, don't be shy, just shoot these scenarios, you'll find that the pictures get better and better, especially when you hang out with a bunch of goofballs.

My comment would be (OH, congrats on the new camera) to watch out for the on-board flash. These photos are compromised by the intensity of the flash. Can you control that?

DSLRnoob has a good idea. Get outside of your immediate space and experiment. With more experience you'll be amazed how you can come back to those simple items and have a completely different perspective.

Oh yeah, going on what kundalini said, do yourself a favor and rip your flash off of the body (don't really but act like you might as well have done it) I NEVER use mine for anyhting but a last minute snapshot if someone is doing something funny in a dark room, but not for photos I want to show people for the sake of photograpy. I hate using built in flash, a signature of mine, that you'll see in my shooting (even at a talent show our school held in the dark) is to not use flash. People always say "how did you capture that without flash?" (answer, high ISO w/ noise reduction, and my 50mm 1.8)

Allthough I do agree that bad use of flash often ruins pictures, I still suggest people should do their best to make use of it. The built-in flash can actually be used in really itneresting ways. Just look at the work of Diane Arbus. I've also noticed that the use of built-in flash units has become somewhat of trend in the world of fashion photography during the last few years. When used correctly it can yield some great pictures with a beautiful and raw look.
All this being said, I use an f1.2 lens, so that I can leave the flash out in most situations, if I don't want to have it there.

I know it's tempting to shoot the first thing you see in your room when you get your first DSLR (heck, I'm on my 2nd and a year into and I still bust out the camera in my room sometimes) but to be honest, most of what you can shoot in your house will get old really quickly and make for boring subject matter. So my first bit of advice is to go out there and take some pictures, bring the camera to an event, at first you feel awkward having this "large" camera around your neck in events that may not be so photo worthy, but something, a birthday party, a parade, a night out with friends, don't be shy, just shoot these scenarios, you'll find that the pictures get better and better, especially when you hang out with a bunch of goofballs.

This guy has good advice! With what he said, just get out there and experiment. that's what i've been doing. I have a rebel xT as well. I feel important when I wear the camera around my neck :D but I still need lots of practice :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back